Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it will get alittle better after some miles.

Did you have the rear tires inflated almost to max? T/H mode on?

When I towed to the Carlisle Show I avg right around 11 - 11.5 mpg and our caravan was hauling ass. Though I'm sure my 2,300 lbs trailer is lighter then yours and my car is probably 300-400lbs lighter then yours as well.

I'm towing down to Mustang Week this weekend, but going to take it at a much more leisurely pace. That's a 1100+ mile tow, so I'll have a real good impression of the Raptor towing after next week.

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it will get alittle better after some miles.

Did you have the rear tires inflated almost to max? T/H mode on?

When I towed to the Carlisle Show I avg right around 11 - 11.5 mpg and our caravan was hauling ass. Though I'm sure my 2,300 lbs trailer is lighter then yours and my car is probably 300-400lbs lighter then yours as well.

I'm towing down to Mustang Week this weekend, but going to take it at a much more leisurely pace. That's a 1100+ mile tow, so I'll have a real good impression of the Raptor towing after next week.

Which tires? Truck or trailer? T/H mode was on. Trailer is 3300 pounds and the Shelby is 3800 pounds. Yes it is close to maxing out the SCREW tow rating.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which tires? Truck or trailer? T/H mode was on. Trailer is 3300 pounds and the Shelby is 3800 pounds. Yes it is close to maxing out the SCREW tow rating.

Rear's on the Truck. Atleast that's what I was told you should do.

Last time I weighed mine (just a GT) she was 3,380 lbs, but I have sense added the Whipple and the T56 Magnum and replaced other parts with lighter ones.. so I figure she's in the 3,600 lbs range. So I was just under the max for the SCab with 5,900lbs.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left the front's stock, bumped the back upto a tick under the 50psi side wall max rating, and did the same with the trailer tires.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Np!

I've always ran the trailer tires just under the max psi on the sidewall unless I was towing empty. So your tires might need a higher psi then mine as my trailer only has an 8,000lb rating.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how was the shifting, did it shift in and out of 5th and 6th or was it steady?
when i noticed my truck shifting down alllot in some long hills i would lock out 6th and it seemed to hold steady and get much better mpg. i pulled a 30 ft camper at max as well and was elated to get 11 mpg 65 mph highway. the tow haul is great!

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going 70-75 most of the time. I did shift down to 5th quite a bit especially going up hills. Yes the T/H is a great addition.