Towing Set-ups??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a WDH that I just ordered...haven't received it yet. but it does look like it is easier to setup then others I have seen. You can also buy the extra parts to make it work without the weight distribution portion.
https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/
Nice, I have just the hitch from weigh safe so I could see how much tongue weight was while I positioned the load inside my trailer. I don’t think they had the WDH version when I bought mine. I always strap the machine down in the same spot, although once you have the WDH set up it’d change the weight on the truck hitch. Let us know what tongue weight is with and with out the bars installed after you get it set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nima

Reaction score
Wow, this thread couldn't have popped up at a better time. This will be my first post.
Last month I bought an Airstream 25' trailer with Gross 6500#. I had spent so much money on upgrades and the trailer that I passed on the WDH that the dealer was trying to sell me for almost $2k installed. I left with a regular Curt Hitch.
I put almost 1200 miles in a few weeks and realized how much the truck sags. 2 weeks ago I started doing research with Ford and realized the tow weight of the 2018 Raptor had an asterisk, it requires a WDH for anything above 5000# up to a maximum of 8000# and 800# tongue weight.

I have attempted to do the WDH myself and went to etrailer and bought a Reese WDH that the guy recommended for about $700 with 1000# tongue rating. I'm assuming my trailer is right around the max of 800#. However, I may be over because the hitch itself is heavy and you are supposed to take that into consideration. I believe I'm at 800# but would love to know for sure ( assuming 10% of Gross plus propane tanks, batteries and hitch).

I have installed it myself with the help of my dad, it is very difficult, there are torque levels that you need to meet like 450 ft lbs for the ball that I can't do. I believe I have set it up right, however, this is something interested I would love feedback on:
Before the hitch the front wheel well sits at 39" and rear at 42".
With the hitch front post up to 39.5 and rear at 40"
With the WDH everything is at 40".

So the weird part is that the WDH makes the truck level, does your trucks ride with the bed higher than the front? I guess it would make sense because there is no load on it but it surprised me because basically you are riding offset with no load.

I am proud of doing it myself and know how it works but for someone reading this, go and have someone install the preferred trailer WDH so that they can torque to spec and do it hopefully correct. It's tough.

adventure

Reaction score
I've been happy with the Roadmaster Active Suspension. 2+ years installed and no problems. Raises the back a bit when empty since I don't adjust it regularly, but handles trailer tongue weight much better.

juice

Reaction score
I've been happy with the Roadmaster Active Suspension. 2+ years installed and no problems. Raises the back a bit when empty since I don't adjust it regularly, but handles trailer tongue weight much better.
Do you have Deavers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air bags for the rear would not only allow you to tow but also haul in the bed much more effectively than just a weight distribution hitch. And cost 1/2 of the beloved deavers.

both the weight distribution hitch and airbags are semi good solutions by themselves.
Though airbags are 10x easier and faster to use. Weight distribution hitchs keep much more weight on the front axle of the truck, which helps steering and braking.

Last edited:

adventure

Reaction score
Hi there. I ran the Roadmaster setup for more than two years. Never took it off and never adjusted. Just too lazy I guess. I'd regularly tow an enclosed snowmobile trailer, but that's cheating because you can easily adjust the tongue weight by moving the contents around. I ran a weigh-safe and would try to keep it around 500#. Trailer is maybe 3500-4500 all loaded up. I'd occasionally do short distances with our wake boat or other trailers at about 750-1000 pounds tongue weight and up to 9000 pounds total but sure wouldn't want to make it a habit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter