Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V_h_

Reaction score
I have a ‘18 raptor and it’s towing capacity is 8k lbs. The trailer I want is 7,068 lbs dry. And 8,800lbs wet and loaded at max weight. I will be using it at campgrounds with hook ups (no dry camping). There for I will not have any fresh/grey/black water in it when towing. The maximum weight I could possibly see the trailer with gear inside it, is 7,600 lbs and that’s a very generous estimate. Would I have any troubles at scales/weigh stations/ DMV with the trailer being ABLE to be over my max tow capacity, even though it NEVER will be over my max tow capacity? Thank you in advance!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘18 raptor and it’s towing capacity is 8k lbs. The trailer I want is 7,068 lbs dry. And 8,800lbs wet and loaded at max weight. I will be using it at campgrounds with hook ups (no dry camping). There for I will not have any fresh/grey/black water in it when towing. The maximum weight I could possibly see the trailer with gear inside it, is 7,600 lbs and that’s a very generous estimate. Would I have any troubles at scales/weigh stations/ DMV with the trailer being ABLE to be over my max tow capacity, even though it NEVER will be over my max tow capacity? Thank you in advance!
i just had this discussion here

dave_g

Reaction score
In 30+ years of travel- i have never seen a rv or travel trailer pulled over and weighted. But keep in mind your family is in side.

One of the things your missing is payload. The raptor is 1200 payload, (max weight the truck and stuff in it) 10% of a trailers weight should be on the hitch so in your case 760 lbs if the trailer has perfect balance (they never do) so 1200- 760=440 lb for you ,your family and all your gear in the truck. ( I keep 300-400 lb of stuff all the time- high lift - air compressor tools shovel ax)

You will be pushing the max numbers for weight- pulling you will be fine- stopping and handling will be a challenge.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 30+ years of travel- i have never seen a rv or travel trailer pulled over and weighted. But keep in mind your family is in side.

One of the things your missing is payload. The raptor is 1200 payload, (max weight the truck and stuff in it) 10% of a trailers weight should be on the hitch so in your case 760 lbs if the trailer has perfect balance (they never do) so 1200- 760=440 lb for you ,your family and all your gear in the truck. ( I keep 300-400 lb of stuff all the time- high lift - air compressor tools shovel ax)

You will be pushing the max numbers for weight- pulling you will be fine- stopping and handling will be a challenge.
yeah, last week we were talking about this because im in the same situation purchasing a travel trailer. everything was discussed, hitchweight being part of load capacity. i basically have to tow our new camper with nobody else in it. luckily the girlfriend has a raptor too since we take 2 trucks everywhere we go camping or offroading, so she is hauling everything else in her truck.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, my recommendation is to go and rent one or two campers first to determine what your personal needs and truck’s capabilities really are.
Then go and make your purchase.
My toy hauler is ~3800 empty and ~7600 loaded. I usually run it around ~6500#.
Hauling it at its max with a stock truck would be a lot of squat and strain.
My truck now is an 18 with +3HDs, custom tow tune, and WD hitch.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, my recommendation is to go and rent one or two campers first to determine what your personal needs and truck’s capabilities really are.
Then go and make your purchase.
My toy hauler is ~3800 empty and ~7600 loaded. I usually run it around ~6500#.
Hauling it at its max with a stock truck would be a lot of squat and strain.
My truck now is an 18 with +3HDs, custom tow tune, and WD hitch.
i have what would be equivelent to deaver +4hd. ( just a different brand and customized for me) trailer comes with weight distribution hitch and sway control. as long as i carry no gear or passengers, im good to tow, otherwise i risk being over the legal limit stated in my owners manual. i know the 6.2 motor can hamdle it, since its a superduty motor, but the soft suspension of the raptor limits its towing capacity compared to a standard f150. i also replaced the raptor trans cooler with the superduty trans cooler. im hoping all my boxes are checked, so we will see when we bring it home. going to go camping for a weekend in the local mountains to see how it works out, before making our 1200 mile trek to nevada in october

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no way to do the math on this that doesn't result in that trailer being way over the payload/hitch/tow ratings of the Gen 2 Raptor.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive an 18 wheeler. Weigh stations are for commercial vehicles only. Any RV's being transported to a dealer from a manufacturer with the intent to sell are required to weigh. You won't be using yours for commercial intent, only personal pleasure. You're not required to weigh. However, what I would suggest, is drop by the nearest truck stop that has a CAT SCALE or similar and weigh it. It will give you the weight on your steering axle, your back axle, and the axles on the trailer. Then you can assess whether you need to shift something and also if you could haul more. This costs about $12-$14 at most places. Be safe and careful and enjoy your new adventures.