Towing Set-ups??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn Burden

Reaction score
How does the Raptor (stock 2018) handle a 25' Center Console weighing 5,500 pounds plus fuel and trailer? seems to be pushing the max towing limit. What are you towing and have you installed any mods that have improved the task? Thanks in Advance...

TcYYC

Reaction score
I tow a boat trailer that’s 7700lbs dry, probably a full 8,000 with the little bit of fuel and gear on board. I use a weight distribution hitch and my ‘19 pulls it through the twists and climbs/descents of the Rocky Mountains without issue.

I’d strongly recommend a WD setup. Buy it from someone who knows what they’re doing.

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 2019, stock at the moment. I pull a 23 foot (27 foot including tongue) travel trailer that weighs in about 6,000 lbs loaded. I also have a weight distribution hitch. The Raptor handles it easily.

WD 2.jpg

This setup works great for local trips, but I want something more substantial for a cross country trip next year. So I'll be installng Deaver HD +3 leaf springs and Eibach springs.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As others have said, best thing to do is install a set of deaver plus 3 at minimum and a weight distribution hitch. Knowledge of how to operate and set up these hitches will aid in the trailer and truck sitting level with proper control.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is not only the overall weight of the trailer, but the tongue weight. Because of the softer suspension, tongue weight is rather limited from the factory. Towing a 7000 lb trailer with 700 lb tongue weight isn't bad, but towing a 3000 lb trailer with 1500 lb tongue weight is a whole different story. Not that you should ever have 50% of the trailer weight on the tongue (it should be around 10-15%, from what I understand), but I'm just trying to prove a point...GVWR of the trailer is NOT the only thing to look at!

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on all the above.
I have a 5000# 26' camper (500# tongue) and use a WD hitch with all the heavy stuff removed from camper (placed in Raptor cab or bed), front cargo locker emptied and heavy items shifted aft for towing. Draining all the fluids helps too.
Read thru the F150 towing supp as well, worth a look.
:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I have an equalizer and weight distributing hitch. I still sag on the rear. It's about 6000 loaded up with fuel. I may go with Icon leafs later, but my wife would rather just pull with her Ram 2500 Diesel.

IMG_20200920_125430.jpg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ditto on all the above.
I have a 5000# 26' camper (500# tongue) and use a WD hitch with all the heavy stuff removed from camper (placed in Raptor cab or bed), front cargo locker emptied and heavy items shifted aft for towing. Draining all the fluids helps too.
Read thru the F150 towing supp as well, worth a look.
:)
V/R
Smokey
Agreed, I always took minimal water with me on a trip and always drained everything before heading back home from camping.