Towing a Raptor with a Diesel RV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Attackpilot

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has towed their Raptor with a Camper? I am in the Military and buying an RV Camper for my next move to Alaska. I’m just curious what is the best way to tow my Truck? If anyone has an RV and has pulled it let me know.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow mine behind my motor home. If you're talking about towing it all the time, the set up is pricey....close to $3K if you do the work yourself. If you're talking about one time, I would just trailer it.

20200703_200919.jpg

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tow mine behind my motor home. If you're talking about towing it all the time, the set up is pricey....close to $3K if you do the work yourself. If you're talking about one time, I would just trailer it.

View attachment 158316

Serious question as i dont know.....how the the truck being towed stear? how do you unlock the steering wheel? How well does the entire thing turn ...and does it chew up tires on the truck being towed?

Sorry...lots of questions....

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2019 Raptor, you place the transmission into Neutral and then go to the dash and Enable tow mode. The steering wheel doesn't lock. The truck turns (wheels turn) as they would normally through a turn, no excess wear. I've towed 5 different brands of trucks through the years.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought long distance flat towing isnt recommended? unless i am wrong, but i could have sworn i read somewhere 50-60 miles max.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i thought long distance flat towing isnt recommended? unless i am wrong, but i could have sworn i read somewhere 50-60 miles max.
It is OK, and in the manual how to do it, at least with my 19. I tow mine behind the MH without any problems. I have towed it for maybe 3,000 miles without any unusual tire wear. You just have to follow what the manual says, it is easier than when I did it with my Jeep.

I use a Roadmaster base plate and Roadmaster 10,000 pound tow bar and the wiring kit with diodes for the brake lights. I also use the Air Force One braking system.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What these guys above said. If it’s a one time trip, get a trailer and go that route. Blue box base plate will cost you $425 or so. The wiring kit to connect your lights is $85. The air force one braking system is $900 for car side air, $1200 for the full system if your coach isn’t already set up for it. There are other braking systems like rvibrake3 or blue is patriot. Then you will need a 10k tow bar plus related cables, etc, approx $750 new. Add in installation and it adds up. I did all the installation myself and was probably close to 5hrs cumulative time?

To answer others questions: no more wear and tear than every day driving. I rotate my tires 5k miles regardless of towing or driving. Steering works fine. The settings in the menu keep the steering wheel unlocked and disconnects the t-case so it rolls free. It displays a message saying the truck is in neutral tow. Very easy to set up. Literally takes me 3minutes to connect everything and go.

81DB4A07-2A9B-4146-9446-CA1DE0D2AA83.jpeg

Last edited:

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What these guys above said. If it’s a one time trip, get a trailer and go that route. Blue box base plate will cost you $425 or so. The wiring kit to connect your lights is $85. The air force one braking system is $900 for car side air, $1200 for the full system if your coach isn’t already set up for it. There are other braking systems like rvibrake3 or blue is patriot. Then you will need a 10k tow bar plus related cables, etc, approx $750 new. Add in installation and it adds up. I did all the installation myself and was probably close to 5hrs cumulative time?

To answer others questions: no more wear and tear than every day driving. I rotate my tires 5k miles regardless of towing or driving. Steering works fine. The settings in the menu keep the steering wheel unlocked and disconnects the t-case so it rolls free. It displays a message saying the truck is in neutral tow. Very easy to set up. Literally takes me 3minutes to connect everything and go.

View attachment 158330
Nice Dutch Star!

MH 1.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is OK, and in the manual how to do it, at least with my 19. I tow mine behind the MH without any problems. I have towed it for maybe 3,000 miles without any unusual tire wear. You just have to follow what the manual says, it is easier than when I did it with my Jeep.

I use a Roadmaster base plate and Roadmaster 10,000 pound tow bar and the wiring kit with diodes for the brake lights. I also use the Air Force One braking system.
i think i remember where i read it. gen 1 trucks. but again, i could be wrong .......again