Towed trailer to arkansas and back! Wow!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Well I must say, I have NEVER had a gas powered Ford F150 pull a trailer with my bikes on it so easily! I mean the truck hardly noticed it while passing a string of cars on hills up and down. I looked down on one pass and was at 100 and I almost shit my pants, OH GOD, MY TRAILER TIRES ARE GONNA POP! HAhahaaaaaaaaa.

I stuffed my Buell XB12X in the bed along with a full ice chest and ramps and fishing gear and a spare bike tire. The trailer is a single axle 5 x 13 landscape trailer that I dolled up into my 2 bike trailer. The trailer was loaded with another Buell XB12S and a Honda ST 1300 along with 2 big storage boxes full of shit, like 100 lbs of shit in each one. We travel lite on bike trips that we tow to! AHahaaaaaaaa. About 3000-3200 lbs in the truck and on the trailer not including my slim 300 plus lbs and Jeff's 280 lb self.

I got a whopping 10.4 mpg going and got 9.8 comming back. Most of the driving there was 70-75 on the interstate. Comiong back was 3 hours of 2 lanes with MANY passes at will. This kilt off the milagae a bit. Still, all in all the Raptor just snatched and went.

The shift button on the stick was wonderfull. I would just drop out 6th, 5th or even 4th at times using this to gear down for hills and passing. If I let the truck do the shifting it seemed about 1 second behind when I would have down shifted. It was just a great drive. Best ever. Did about 950 miles and used about 98 gallons of gas! SHIT!

Good thing I had a doller off a gollon waitin on me when I got back. I had to drop a $20 and later another $10 in the tank to get home for maximum effect of the cheap fill up. Put in 34.5 at fillup. filled up for $78.00 instead of $112.00. Saved $ 34.50! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. HAhahaaaa.

To sum it up. The milages sucked but the experiance was a pleasure. Oh the Arkansas roads are a motorcyclists best friend if ya like corners at speed and little traffic and little LEO action.

BDRAG

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I just towed from south west MO to west OK. We averaged around 75. My trailer was maxed for the truck right around 6000lbs. Tow/haul does a damn good job. This is the first gas vehicle that we tow with. Its no diesel but I can easily go any speed I want on the steepest of hills. And I have the 5.4 I can't imagine the extra umph of the 6.2. I averaged 12.7mpg

Tim Purtell

Reaction score
Funny BDRAG!!! I am trailering my car to Daytona (From Dallas - open flatbed style trailer) and it towed it well ... I ran about 9.4mpg at 80mph. Im going with 2 buddies with full on racing trailers and when tailgating ... get this ... Im getting 14.9MPG!!!!! I cant get that when Im not trailering but Ive done it for 800+ miles and not having to fill up proves the numbers are right!!!! Message - tailgate tractor trailers!!! Ha!!!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Ha! I was beginning to think you had retired there and said screw Big D!
Glad you had a good time.

Oh belive me, I am in love with north central Arkansas. If money was no object I would have stayed.
BDRAG

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Funny BDRAG!!! I am trailering my car to Daytona (From Dallas - open flatbed style trailer) and it towed it well ... I ran about 9.4mpg at 80mph. Im going with 2 buddies with full on racing trailers and when tailgating ... get this ... Im getting 14.9MPG!!!!! I cant get that when Im not trailering but Ive done it for 800+ miles and not having to fill up proves the numbers are right!!!! Message - tailgate tractor trailers!!! Ha!!!

HAhaa. Not with the frontal area for rock chips! I will spend the gas money. So how does it compare with the ole Avalanch for towing? Whats that on the trailer anyway, a 72 Pinto? HAhahaa. NOT!

BDRAG

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey Tim -

Nice pic ! I'm pretty sure I sold my stock wheels to one of your neighbors, he was telling me about the guy with the Raptor and the Viper, which must have been you. If you see a silver Ecoboost running around with Raptor wheels, those used to be mine.

I haven't taken the Raptor on a road trip yet, but I'll definitely be drafting if I do...here's a guide for you youngsters who may not know who Cole Trickle is:

sweetnlowTHUNDER500-thumb-500x205-26841.jpg

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you guys using nay kind of load leveling or does the Raptor level out fairly well on its own?

I'll tow rather infrequently but I know with my Explorer I had to have load levelers installed for long hauls across country.

Thanks,

~BGM