torn between Raptor vs F250 Diesel/Tremor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy crap -- I think you are over thinking things

Maybe try a minivan -- they can tow jetskis.

yeah & so could my wife’s MDX but that’s a different story- technically- when I’m driving around w/ fam, dog, gear, jet skis I’m already pushing the GVWR on the Rap

To the other members asking - I was anticipating the 7.3 being underwhelming b/c EVERY gasser HD I’ve ever driven is a dog & despite being the latest/greatest- so isn’t the F250 w/ 7.3 & anyone considering it should seriously take note, it SOUNDS like it’s got some grunt, but it’s a sluggish IMO even unladen- just adequate, in terms of hauling a 5k trailer for instance? While it’s rated for a good deal more than a raptor, that’s all suspension/chassis driven- bottom line is it weighs 1000 lbs more than my old raptor & is down 20hp & 35tq in stock trim & probably more like 70hp/100tq deficit w/ the GH tune I was running.

If it had more balls I’d be much more interested in the 7.3 F250

just weird that after driving all these other trucks comes down to another overpriced Raptor or an F250 diesel for me....the diesel just seems like straight overkill but I can get the better deal & im sure resale/value retention will be nearly as good If not better

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recent experience.

I almost bought a new AT4 with a 6.2. Couldn’t get past the 24 gallon fuel tank. That’s crazy small for my needs.

Drove a loaded Rebel and was really impressed. Couldn’t get past the Hemi having zero low end power. Towing at 4000 rpms is not my cup of tea. Ride was super smooth. Trans was hands down smoother than Ford and GMs 10 speed.

Considered an F-250 Tremor with 7.3 but needed something sooner than I could find one.

Ended up with the 2018 Raptor. Happy so far but there is some competition out there for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try a 7.3L with 4.30 gears yet? They make all the difference in the world and are a must for a gas SD.

The problem is the Raptor and the Super Duty are light years apart in terms of purpose. If you aren’t going to tow anything substantial or put anything on the front end, there’s no real reason to own a 3/4 ton+.

The ride is worse, the fuel economy is worse, the insurance, licensing, etc. is all more. The diesels have their emissions related problems. Finding a good diesel tech is like pulling teeth. The repairs can be intensive and complicated.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy has a Tremor King ranch with Powerstroke, love the truck, love the looks, but it still rides and handles like a SuperDuty. Unless towing heavy heavy is something you do a lot I'd try and find a Raptor. They are breed of their own. Drove a limited F-250 with Carli kit and Kings in all four corners and there's still no comparison, drives and turns like a boat. If I get a 5th wheel the Raptor will be gone, but until then I can't beat it.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you try a 7.3L with 4.30 gears yet? They make all the difference in the world and are a must for a gas SD.

The problem is the Raptor and the Super Duty are light years apart in terms of purpose. If you aren’t going to tow anything substantial or put anything on the front end, there’s no real reason to own a 3/4 ton+.

The ride is worse, the fuel economy is worse, the insurance, licensing, etc. is all more. The diesels have their emissions related problems. Finding a good diesel tech is like pulling teeth. The repairs can be intensive and complicated.

yeah thought bout that too....but damn it’s a nice overall package- I completely disagree as far as ride goes I think the SD Ford’s ride great, the other thing bout the 7.3 is I’m guessing it gets abysmal fuel mileage.

I put a good amount of miles on my truck - 20-22k per year on avg- so a 2 year old Rap w/ 25k will soon turn into a 4 year old rap w/ 80-90k - so paying $55k (good luck on that for a 2018-2019 low mileage Rap) out of warranty seems foolish to me when I have located a couple 2020s in the $62-65k range new.

got a good lead on fellow FRF member w/ a very nice 2020 w/ less than 5k miles & nice extras, but asking a lot of $$$ (not that it’s not worth it) & buying outta state private w/ a lien means I gotta lay out ALL the cash & involves a bit more leg work. If I could get that lightly used 2020 for equal $$$ to a mid-level 801a New off showroom floor I’d consider it.

slim pickings out there on Raptors in particular obviously- I’ve been looking throughout New England, NY & PA

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your points; however, it is important to note that the F-Super Duty went through a full redesign in 2017. It was all-new from the ground up, and the improvements in NVH, ride quality, rigidity, suspension, interior design, and drivability cannot be understated. As capable as the 2016 Super Duty is, it was still riding on the same platform from 1999, which to say the least can be a little rough over anything but smooth roads.

Sir,

In all humility, no amount of engineering done to an F250 based platform (Tremor) will create ride characteristics that are as smooth/comfortable—as an F150 based Raptor—regardless of the many changes between ‘16 and now.

Each platform is designed around parameters—that are not close.

Apples to apples (unloaded) the Tremor vs. Raptor will have significantly different ride characteristics due to the engineering differences between the platforms.

Last edited:

PWtoRaptor

Reaction score
I switched to a 2020 Raptor from a 2018 Ram Power Wagon. I liked the Power Wagon with the 6.4L and what it was designed for but it had some big flaws. It rode like it had square wheels. My fuel mileage average on the highway was 13.5mpg empty. I was down in the single digits when towing a 16ft tandem axle trailer empty. Sucks driving less than 300 miles on a 31 gallon tank. The truck felt underpowered for its size. Nothing like getting stuck behind an 18 wheeler on the highway because you dont have the passing power to get around them in time. Most parking garages were out of the question. Drive thrus were iffy. Need to have plenty of room for its turning radius. I know you didnt mention the Power Wagon but just comparing it because its a 3/4 ton platform with a gas engine.
We also owned a 2017 F250 Powerstroke with the FX4 package. The first 5k miles it rode pretty rough but seemed to get better afterwards. Great truck, tons of power. Especially with some of the tunes you can do to them without needing to do a dpf/egr delete. Same parking problems. All that being said I would take a used Raptor before I bought any of those again.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sir,

In all humility, no amount of engineering done to an F250 based platform (Tremor) will create ride characteristics that are as smooth/comfortable—as an F150 based Raptor—regardless of the many changes between ‘16 and now.

Each platform is designed around parameters—that are not close.

Apples to apples (unloaded) the Tremor vs. Raptor will have significantly different ride characteristics due to the engineering differences between the platforms.

I agree, just stating that the 2017+ Super Duty offers a significant improvement in ride quality and NVH vs previous generation. As you mention though, neither will ride like an F-150.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slider basic truck that you know you won’t keep is the temporary solution. Prices now on anything are lunacy right now. Suck it up and ride it out as a basic. Your wallet will thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter