Top hat failure with aftermarket springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTSperanza

Reaction score
What has more preload and thus affect on ride quality - the 1" eibach springs or the SDI Elite Gen 2/3 Ford Raptor Front Bucket Assembly?

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only reason he is jumping on this is of EXO. I trust the EXO guys, but this guy just says shit because someone else said it and then claims he knows wtf he is talking about. He is also smug at best....

And the idiot ran 37/13.5 90 pound tires on his Gen 2 and wondered why he had bump steer in the dirt..

That said, I do think running longer coils in a shock not designed for it is asking for trouble. It's causing the shock to over extend and that will stress the ball joints significantly or the uniballs depending on which arms you are running. SDI is a meh, I plan to run kings and rely less on tech and more on shock valving that is correct and proven.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for these current runs but having participated in the early / first Raptor runs I can say that all the broken / crashed trucks I saw were modified. People seemed to forget the chain theory (weakest link) and over drive their truck and also the aftermarket parts can only handle so much themselves. Example: One particular run (San Felipe 250) the group was coming off the lake bed at high speed and into a deep whoop run, me (Stock) following 2 modified trucks in, and after a moment of sanity I realized that if I keep this up I would not be driving my truck home, so pulled to the side trail and made it into town to discover one of the trucks broke his front shock off at the hat and the other truck was leaking badly. I've seen shock mounts ripped off, computers fried (due to mods), rear diff ripped off, rolled trucks and trucks hitting large stationery objects. Conclusion? A brain! And if not, good trail support!

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
I run the full SDi kit on our Gladiator, its no Raptor in the dirt, but for a diesel Rubicon its night and day to where it started, the system handles the weight so well and keeps the truck planted flat both on and off road. They have been great to work with and honestly quicker and more responsive than any other shock company I've worked with.

The coil bucket/frame issue may be similar to what I'm running into with the JT. What's the full collapsed length of the Geiser spring vs stock? I'm running a much taller, progressive rate spring and after several different spring setups (5) I have had 2 issues:
A: New spring goes into coil bind before shock gets into bump zone (internal bypass), so the coil bucket takes the bottom out load and force when the truck lands. Rough landing and lots of excess stress exerted into the coil bucket.
B: New spring changes ride height significantly with no changes to shock. Bump zone is not properly utilized. I read on Geiser's site that the Fox LV system resets height every time the truck is turned on. Do limitations to this exist? 2.5" is a lot of lift on a IFS that is otherwise stock.

Wondering if either of these are contributing to the issues on the Raptors?

welndmn

Reaction score
I read on Geiser's site that the Fox LV system resets height every time the truck is turned on.
I've read that too, They are some pretty smart fellas over there, but FORscan also has a procedure to reset the ride height, that would seem like it's unnecessary is it really reset at each start up.

52predator

Reaction score
Does anyone have any evidence of this happening with Eibach Leveling (1.1") springs? Or are all of these failures with Geisers/Eibach Lift (2.2") springs? I have yet to SEE an Eibach (non-progressive) spring cause this, but that's why I am asking.