Top hat failure with aftermarket springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was browsing my subscriptions on YouTube this evening, and I came across a video from keep it dirty of road and saw this.

This is really pushing me to going race 3.0, or kings, but wanted to get your guys input on this. I’ve seen stock spring failures more commonly on this forum than anything related to aftermarket spring failures. Same with the welds he mentioned.

Is this guy turning into a tin hat conspiracy theorist or is he speaking the gospel.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s speaking the truth! I was just behind that truck on the last Raptor Run in Baja. He made the turn ahead of me, then I heard on the radio “I’m down”! Came around the corner to find that mess. What you don’t really see in the video is that luckily the truck dug down, and the berm stopped it. There was a nice little 20’ drop about 3’ away. That wasn’t the first catastrophic front end failure the team had seen down there. Go with the Fox 3.0 Race Series (FRS) shocks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This guy. Definitely on the follow list of @FordTechOne

Yeah.... no he’s not.
Suspension mods are complicated affairs, and mismatched setups definitely can cause problems. I try to keep an open mind, but honestly, this guy didn’t do himself any favors with him backing the “death wobble” myth.

I’m not overdriving the suspension I have so I’ll keep close to what I have.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@HOLLYWOOD 1 Yeah, that guy got super lucky. I could only imagine that failing while dropping into a small wash at a good pace.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@HOLLYWOOD 1 Yeah, that guy got super lucky. I could only imagine that failing while dropping into a small wash at a good pace.
I’m the opposite kind of. After that happened I said to everybody there, I don’t mind breaking on the trail, but it scares the Hell out of me thinking it could happen on the road when we’re flying doing about 90 to the next hotel. But my friends were pretty lucky, and the chase team fixed it on the trail once the parts were run up to them. They rolled in about 2 1/2 hours after us. All things considered, that wasn’t too bad.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think the aftermarket spring set up in the front would fail if you only daily a Raptor. With that said, my 2019 already had eibach springs on the front when I bought the truck. So seeing the videos about the issue is kind of concerning. However, I feel like I’m not gonna reach the limit to which this kind of failure would occur.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone actually watched the video?? so far every cracked shock bucked shown in the video is with Fox FRS and not the stock top hat. Here is the deal, I don't full send my shit, I use it pretty hard but if I see an obstacle I pump the brakes, I go midway unless I have prerun the area a bunch.

These guys are going to point of failure, I promise fix this and there will be another failure point.

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
watch from 4:25 to 4:40 3 pictures shown of cracked shock buckets. Might be all the same truck from different angles, but definitely FOX FRS and not stock top hats.
Yeah your right, so he is basically saying its specific springs but those trucks aren't even equipped with said springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter