top 5 engine PERFORMANCE upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

showerfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ruling out SC or turbos.

i've read through a lot of threads to find out your thoughts on engine performance upgrades, and while this forum is so amazing, and i'm not dissing anyone at all, a lot of the lists included things like bedliners...

so what would you do first for the ENGINE? i know enough to improve airflow -- CAI, headers -- but what would you do further, what COULD you do further, to improve the power of this naturally aspirated engine?

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not really any different than any other engine.

Excluding forced induction, the top three are easily intake, exhaust (cat back), and tuner. Fourth would probably he headers. From there things get more expensive... cams, head work, bore/stroke, etc.

Regearing to 4.56 gears may be another consideration. They don't really "add" power, but they increase acceleration in the speed ranges that we drive 90% of the time.

OP
OP
showerfan

showerfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you, exactly what i was wondering. i have seen insane prices (all relative, of course) for stuff like cam jobs on the livernoise thread, so i was wondering what else.

so 1. intake, 2. headers, 3. exhaust, 4. tune... then things like gearing and new springs will improve drivability, if i understand correctly.

fwiw, i was told by a F-SVT insider that the springs were the only thing he'd change -- makes you wonder why they didn't do that at the factory...

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking into cams tonight and was also surprised of the minuscule gains for almost 3k! ridiculous. Cams in my little 2.0L evo resulted in a 15% gain... but thats forced induction of course. Im sure cams plus supercharger would make some serious power

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installing headers without port matching is a waste of money and more often than not will rob you of HP. The exhaust ports on OEM engines are very restrictive. Do it right and you will get the benefits.

Last edited: