To supercharge or not???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not even getting into this discussion :snoopfacepalm: . There's probably a hundred threads in this forum alone dealing with this exact discussion / argument... Too many variables from where you live, what's your goals, money to spend, rather you want a warranty, etc., etc. ...

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some sience. As no one did it so far

A : compressing matter generates heat / expending matter soakes up heat
This means that a compresor/ sc or tc will increase the temprature of the gasses just by compressing them. The intercooling is there to decrease the gas temprature before entering the compressed state. Or decrease them onve compressed

This means just from the compression allone. The engine runs hotter
Better intercoling does not mean cooler engine

B : because the engine runs more air/fuel per cycle. The burn temprature within the engine will increase. This will increase the engine temp and the exhaustgas temp

To deal with this one must increase the cooling performance of the engine

Intercooling (if done properly) offsets the heat cause by compression which results in a cooler intake charge - a cooler intake charge develops more power and makes it easier to cool the engine through traditional methods (radiating heat to the atmosphere). You said so yourself, compression develops heat and without an intercooler the engine would heat soak (run hotter) and begin to suffer from pre-ignition (detonation).

This is evident in the simple example of a centri SC vs a top mount. Centris using a large FMIC have a more efficient mechanism for reducing intake temps and subsequently do not suffer from heat soak like top mounts. The initial impact is reduction in power but if the engine is run hard long enough, the engine temps will rise and detonation will result.

One cannot adequately manage the heat being generated by a F/I engine without some mechanism for reducing intake temps AND increased radiant cooling capacity.

The unanimous consensus is that IF someone were to run a F/I Raptor in its natural habitat and have it survive, many changes would need to be made.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We are inaggrement

Why is there no piezo-electric intercooling system ??
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/123/696/421/421696123_283.jpg

My guess would be cost and design efficiency.

Intercoolers would need more surface area and be made of more expensive material but theoretically it could work - even if it was only to augment traditional intercooling methods.

One issue I see though is getting adequate surface to air contact without disrupting the airflow.

OP
OP
A

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually my mind is not made up. I understand the inherent differences and challenges of running forced induction. I have just seen people say that it should not be run in the dirt, or sand because bad things happen. I was trying to find out why it is bad to run a supercharger in the dirt. I have only been on the forum a month, or so, and have not seen any threads directly addressing the supercharger, and why it is bad in the dirt.
Like most, most miles are driven on road for me. I only am able to get about 50 miles a week off road, if I am lucky.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And after 1.000 miles u need a rebuild?

Shouldn't, 1,100hp tt 5.0 didn't. And that was aluminum block. I'm thinking 6.6 iron block might be even more durable. Anything can be done just takes money.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

any joe

Reaction score
The guys with sc love them..... The guys without sc hate them.....All I know is im super charged and would not drive the truck any other way, actually im on my second raptor that is super charged and have ran off road with and without a super charger and found a huge difference in the way the stock suspension works. With the extra power of a sc it helps lighten up the nose when needed and really smooths out the bumps. I went with the roush kit because I have not found any other company that test there product or stands behind there product like roush. Roush does a lot of testing for manufactures and test there own stuff the same way. Nothing against any other sc but no one I found test like this. For me it was the piece of mind, knowing. Any added power is great for this truck and does make a big difference off road.

MKSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why, at the end of the day it's still a ****. Save the s/c money and pick up a performance car. And have best of both worlds

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of ****. A 13 sec truck is moving pretty good. Most people can't run that on the street with a performance car (mustang, camaro, challenger).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2