GEN 1 Time to change my shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So these are my current front shocks sitting on flat level ground.
02994c70b125fd62912795db1e77e15d.jpg

I'm almost positive they are all dead, I do a fair amount of off roading and I have 86k of hard driven miles.

So should there be more of the "shock rod" out than what I am seeing (quarter sized space)

What's the best course of action

Is it safe to drive? I need my truck it's my only choice in vehicle and living in Mississippi everything is very, very far apart.

Could some of you who have changed up shocks drop your set up and opinion of it! I always love to hear about things like that before diving into a purchase.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Search for shock replacement service. There is a shop that will send you a set and charge you until you send back your cores. That would be the least down time... Or buying another set, OEM or upgrading and selling your factory ones. Could sell them blown or rebuild them...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So these are my current front shocks sitting on flat level ground.
02994c70b125fd62912795db1e77e15d.jpg

I'm almost positive they are all dead, I do a fair amount of off roading and I have 86k of hard driven miles.

So should there be more of the "shock rod" out than what I am seeing (quarter sized space)

What's the best course of action

Is it safe to drive? I need my truck it's my only choice in vehicle and living in Mississippi everything is very, very far apart.

Could some of you who have changed up shocks drop your set up and opinion of it! I always love to hear about things like that before diving into a purchase.

The fastest way to get them swapped out is to buy either a new (big $$) or used (much less $$) set and replace them while doing a rebuild. You can have the shock exchange guys on here put you on the list, rebuild yourself, or find a local shop to do it. Then you will always have a freshly rebuilt set ready to go. Any send out service will leave you with significant downtime. Finding a place to send you a set while they rebuild yours isn't a bad option but you will find yourself in the same situation when you need the next rebuild. If you off road regularly then it's going to be best to learn how to do it yourself and have tools and shocks on hand ready to go. Just search DIY shock rebuild on here for a step by step on how to do it. In the end you will save big by doing it yourself in both time and $$. abc6451fd45aea480879fc4aa8c75aba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to look at springs also. Even with blown shocks if the springs were good they would being showing more shaft.

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to look at springs also. Even with blown shocks if the springs were good they would being showing more shaft.
Any good aftermarket springs? I'd like the truck to sit a bit higher as I have a lot of deep holes around here, but I'm not going to mess it up with a lift

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the factory shocks Geiser springs are all I know of. They set a little higher than stock but are a progressive rate spring. Do a quick search on here and you should find some of the reviews. They are not cheap but everyone had great things to say about them.