Time for 1st oil change!!! Which oil and why!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I do every 5k with Mobil 1. Reason being 1) I can see every 5k easy on the odometer and 2) Mobil 1 has never let me down, including in multiple race cars. No doubt 5k is more often than necessary and I suspect other oils are "better" (Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum, Redline, Shell Delvac, etc.). There are multiple, engineering websites analyzing oil out there complete with plenty of technical data. Opinions on the topic are limitless, so I ceased searching for the "best".

I found the oil change to be no better or worse than other American vehicles (my european cars seem to put more thought into ease of service). Yes oil got on top of the skid plate, but the relief holes made it easy to catch and easier to clean than some in-the-way cross member. I put a Fumoto valve on to make it even easier, but the mess comes from the oil filter, which is mounted horizontal on the front of the engine. Marginal gain there.

Yet another opinion.....

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil and Amsoil oil filter is my choice. Has been for years. Used Amsoil when I had my Ram Longhorn Laramie. Join Amsoil preferred customer to get discounts and they ship to your home...

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my first change at 2500 and then second at 5000. Then at every 5000 interval with Motorcraft full synthetic because thats what the owners manual recommends as optional.

Frank R

Reaction score
Amsoil every 6-7 thousand miles like others said better safe then sorry especially since the right foot likes to go to the floor In the truck more then my other vehicles

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use Motorcraft synthetic blend and change the oil every 5000 miles.

reasoning....... Its $39 with labor at the dealership

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny. The oil filter wasn't a problem at all. It all came down the oil channel and the filter came out easy.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of good advice in this thread. On a side note, you can get all the Mobil 1, Royal Purple, whatever you want very affordably at your local Wal-Mart. 5 qt. jugs are like $25ish.

EDIT: You can also get a Motorcraft oil filter there as well, which outside an AMSoil, is all I would recommend.

Last edited:

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIY, +1 for penzoil ultra platinum. It is some very good stuff. I would put it up there with amzoil at a much lesser price.

That being said I for some reason bought into the cheap oil change and tire rotation thing and use motorcraft full synthetic every 5k miles.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just change it when the truck says so. Went to the dealer for the first one while they ‘fixed’ my rain sensor leaking down the windshield. (It’s already doing it again). Who knows what I’ll do next time.

Green Goblin

Reaction score
So, just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the oil change information on the Ford App determines / forecasts oil changes? Is it an intelligent monitoring system based on real oil quality, or just an algorithm based on your driving habits, etc?