Time for 1st oil change!!! Which oil and why!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc1gator

Reaction score
ReallyNice did his homework. After pretty exhausting research I went with PENNZOIL 5-30 ULTRA PLATINUM FULL SYNTHETIC. I use the Ford filter and have a local shop do the change every 7,500 miles. The shop does the change, checks all fluids, brakes and tire pressure for a measley $17.62. Well worth it. You can't beat the Wal-Mart price shipped free to your door.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this guy ******* serious?

It's ******** engine oil.

Let me break down the steps

1. open owners manual and read it.
2. Get that viscosity in whatever brand you want
3. empty oil from truck
4. put new oil in truck
5. drive the **** out of truck

have the oil analyzed. give me a break bro. You ain't running the indy 500.

this was a ******* question to begin with.

Just because the oil is the right viscosity does not mean it meets Ford’s standards for additive quality, wear protection, or oil longevity.

If an owner of a 60k plus truck wants to get an oil analysis to see how a particular blend is holding up, what’s the harm in that? It isn’t exactly a secret that the HO 3.5L is a bit hard on oil.

The real problem here is that you’re a poorly educated window licker who passes himself off as a functioning adult. You called a man’s question a “******* question” while also telling us all in a previous thread that cheap ass Duralast pads from Autozone were just as good as a well put together big brake kit or factory pads and that nobody needs to waste their money on “go fast ********”, along with a plethora of other ****** opinions.

Sometimes, it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool rather than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Cain

Reaction score
Did the 1st oil change at the dealer at 1100 miles.

$50 out the door with a tire rotation.

Maybe I'll try the Pennzoil when it's on sale and still have the dealer do it for the service records.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did the 1st oil change at the dealer at 1100 miles.

$50 out the door with a tire rotation.

Maybe I'll try the Pennzoil when it's on sale and still have the dealer do it for the service records.

FYI, you can document your own service performed by you or any other shop within the FordPass app. The dealer service or at least most of it gets auto logged into the app. Beats paper records of the Stone age.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the oil change information on the Ford App determines / forecasts oil changes? Is it an intelligent monitoring system based on real oil quality, or just an algorithm based on your driving habits, etc?

Well, here's a data point. I took mine to the dealer on 7/13, 500- miles after changing the oil, and oil life was 95%. That's a 10k interval. Since then, it's been sitting, only moved a time or two. A couple of additional miles. I started it once to charge the battery. Oil life remaining is now at 81%. So it's some sort of algorithm that takes into account short trips and sitting around.

Cain

Reaction score
FYI, you can document your own service performed by you or any other shop within the FordPass app. The dealer service or at least most of it gets auto logged into the app. Beats paper records of the Stone age.

Yeah? ok, i'll look into that.

Thank you for the info!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil is oil for the most part.

filters...on the other hand I believe are more important to get right.
Not sure I agree - all the TOP oils, ok take your pick. But there are some large differences in oils in general. I believe the ford racing oil filter is the one to use.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's a data point. I took mine to the dealer on 7/13, 500- miles after changing the oil, and oil life was 95%. That's a 10k interval. Since then, it's been sitting, only moved a time or two. A couple of additional miles. I started it once to charge the battery. Oil life remaining is now at 81%. So it's some sort of algorithm that takes into account short trips and sitting around.
Yep. My commute is very short and everything is close to my house. Most running I do is about 2-10 miles. My oil lasts 4k/1yr.