Time for 1st oil change!!! Which oil and why!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just follow the oil life monitor. It constantly changes based on how I drive. My dealer told me to follow that and don't waste money on old school fixed intervals.

Unless they changed something (maybe they did?) the oil monitor just measures 10,000 miles.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless they changed something (maybe they did?) the oil monitor just measures 10,000 miles.

10,000 miles is just the maximum. The actual interval is calculated based on a number of factors including engine hours, operating temperatures, engine load, operating conditions, etc. I’ve driven 4700 miles since my last oil change and my oil life monitor is down to 30%.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The owners manual describes how it works. Long story short, it calculates the interval based on driving habits, idle time, and temperature (summer / winter). That said, it does not allow anything longer than 1 year.

They must have changed it then, because mine simply measures 10k miles. 2017 801a.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This subject again?

Change your oil either at 7,500 miles or at a yearly interval, whichever comes first.

Of if you want to spend more money and time, do it sooner.

easy

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The owners manual describes how it works. Long story short, it calculates the interval based on driving habits, idle time, and temperature (summer / winter). That said, it does not allow anything longer than 1 year.

While my truck sat idle a couple weeks, I noticed the oil monitor decreased around 5%. Time must be a factor.

Oil monitor is handy but I still use oil analysis to determine the ideal interval for my driving habits. Oil analysis and more frequent oil changes are a waste of money. On the other hand, I do my oil changes so I’m getting the best value and service for the money.