Time for 1st oil change!!! Which oil and why!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the oil change information on the Ford App determines / forecasts oil changes? Is it an intelligent monitoring system based on real oil quality, or just an algorithm based on your driving habits, etc?

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor is an algorithm. It factors in engine speeds, mileage, hours, temperatures, load, etc. Regardless, I would never recommend exceeding 7500 miles even with Synthetic.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Pick a brand you like. Amsoil, RP, Motul, M1, Castrol etc.

2. Run it and keep an eye on the level

3. At the oil change, take a sample and have it analyzed

4. If its good according to your vehicle, driving conditions, climate then enjoy

5. If not pick another oil and experiment again

There’s lots of UOA on the net. Personally, I like Amsoil SS and change at 5k miles. My UOA tells me I can go up to about 6200 miles.

is this guy ******* serious?

It's ******** engine oil.

Let me break down the steps

1. open owners manual and read it.
2. Get that viscosity in whatever brand you want
3. empty oil from truck
4. put new oil in truck
5. drive the **** out of truck

have the oil analyzed. give me a break bro. You ain't running the indy 500.

this was a ******* question to begin with.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
is this guy ******* serious?

It's ******** engine oil.

Let me break down the steps

1. open owners manual and read it.
2. Get that viscosity in whatever brand you want
3. empty oil from truck
4. put new oil in truck
5. drive the **** out of truck

have the oil analyzed. give me a break bro. You ain't running the indy 500.

this was a ******* question to begin with.

Your response was really helpful also. Congratulations! You’re the smartest person ever.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just change it when the truck says so. Went to the dealer for the first one while they ‘fixed’ my rain sensor leaking down the windshield. (It’s already doing it again). Who knows what I’ll do next time.

Rain sensor leaking?

FL4x4

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any knowledge! With so many choices I want to make the right one!

Keep in mind your Raptor has turbos that are lubricated with the engine oil. Turbos produce a lot of heat and can break down conventional oils easily. Full synthetic oils were developed for and initially used in jet engines because they retain their viscosity and friction protection in extreme heat conditions and are highly recommended (in many cases required) for turbo charged engine.

Take care of your performance engine. Only use the recommended weight of 5w-30. I use only Amsoil and Mobil 1 Annual Protection Full Synthetic and I change my oil at regular intervals: every 5,000 miles.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well we all knew it may lead to this. The next closest thing to talking politics and having an argument, is talking motor oil.

:argue:

ReallyNice

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change...I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum shipped from Wal-Mart and picked up a Wix oil filter locally. Also used one of those flat bendable funnels for the oil pan...it really helped, didn’t spill any. But I did put a Fumoto in place.