Time for 1st oil change!!! Which oil and why!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rac10000

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my first change and already bought a Ford Racing oil filter (link) but haven't picked an oil yet.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure I agree - all the TOP oils, ok take your pick. But there are some large differences in oils in general. I believe the ford racing oil filter is the one to use.
Fair enough. that's why I said for the most part. maybe a 5% deviation between the top. Filters are all over the place. I used Baldwin filters on my Ferrari for years and was even used by the dealerships because the OEM weren't great. Had a few K&N blow out on a All-Trac Turbo and my wife's Lincoln had a OEM blow a seal and leak.

I'd like to use Baldwin on my raptor but I am sticking with OEM for now.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough. that's why I said for the most part. maybe a 5% deviation between the top. Filters are all over the place. I used Baldwin filters on my Ferrari for years and was even used by the dealerships because the OEM weren't great. Had a few K&N blow out on a All-Trac Turbo and my wife's Lincoln had a OEM blow a seal and leak.

I'd like to use Baldwin on my raptor but I am sticking with OEM for now.
This is the one I use. It's much bigger than the OEM filter, this is the 'performance' version of the OEM according to Ford Performance... can find it cheaper elsewhere just posting so you can see it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TZBVWA/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Intelligent Oil Life Monitor is an algorithm. It factors in engine speeds, mileage, hours, temperatures, load, etc. Regardless, I would never recommend exceeding 7500 miles even with Synthetic.
So then what do you make of the factory saying 10k intervals with a blend even?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the one I use. It's much bigger than the OEM filter, this is the 'performance' version of the OEM according to Ford Performance... can find it cheaper elsewhere just posting so you can see it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TZBVWA/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Hmmm... that Ford Racing filter piqued my interest. It’s like $40CAD up here.

Here’s a cut open FR filter for all the oil nerds (myself included):

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/ford-racing-performance-parts-fl820s-cut-open.299816/

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Texas. Like Massachusetts but bigger and louder, lol.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So then what do you make of the factory saying 10k intervals with a blend even?

Factory interval is 7500-10000 miles under “normal” driving. The large majority of vehicles are fall under the “severe” conditions interval, which is 5000-7500 miles and includes off-road use, hilly roads, moderate to heavy towing or hauling, extended idling, or extended hot or cold operation.