Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK so today we data logged a new 18' F150 with the 3.5 Eco. NOT a Raptor so the 470Tq version in the regular truck.

Truck had 17 miles on it.

We didn't drive 1/2 a mile and could already tell it had the same issue as my truck. Granted not as bad but the same issue.

We took recordings and are sending them to Ford.

One thing our tech did notice is that the torque converter slippage strategy is different that on my 17 truck. That obviously doesn't have anything to do with the problem I'm having though.

I'll report back again once hotline responds back to us.

Last edited:

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hotline called back already. Our hotline rep handling our issue got chance to drive another 17 Raptor over the weekend. He experienced a similar condition and also took recordings of what it was doing. He asked our tech that since we experienced this in an 18' F150 also did he feel it should be considered normal. Our tech said that hes been a tech for a very long time and he doesn't like chasing problems that typically are normal but that he feels in no way should trucks costing what they do today (F150's in general) act like that.

So they are sending an FSE (field service engineer) out to look at my truck and see what his thoughts are.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting on this. The ethics behind this suck as it feels like Ford is taking advantage of you for free R&D.... Stuff their idiot engineers should have figured out. I have lost faith in Ford over this. Sad they couldn't get Gen 2 of the 3.5 ecoboost to work right either!

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting on this. The ethics behind this suck as it feels like Ford is taking advantage of you for free R&D.... Stuff their idiot engineers should have figured out. I have lost faith in Ford over this. Sad they couldn't get Gen 2 of the 3.5 ecoboost to work right either!

It does suck but crap like this happens all the time. It's not just Ford. Over my 31 years in the business I've talked with multiple people that have worked for just about every manufacture you can think of. They all have similar stories and most of them are a lot worse than I've experienced with Ford. Yes this should have been caught and worked out by Ford before the trucks were released. Personally I feel the manufactures take a risk/reward approach on things along this line. The probably couldn't get all of the bugs worked out before deadlines and just figured the bulk of the customers won't notice it. So they release it and deal with concerns when they are presented.

The positive side of this is that they are trying to find a fix and not just writing it off as normal since other new trucks do the same thing.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got mine back today and drove it around a while. Mine is fixed, they updated the software for the transmission.

I hope they get u fixed up, im following this so please keep us updated. Dont forget to change ur plugs :)

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I got mine back today and drove it around a while. Mine is fixed, they updated the software for the transmission.

I hope they get u fixed up, im following this so please keep us updated. Dont forget to change ur plugs :)

Glad to hear yours is fixed. The TCM update didn't help my truck at all.

I will continue to update our progress.

AMPowerJ

Reaction score
In for updates ... my truck does this too. Has since day one ... I haven't bothered taking it in to the dealership because I haven't wanted to deal with the inconvenience honestly. I figured they would just tell me they couldn't reproduce the issue. I noticed it immediately when I was driving it off the lot. Figured it was just crappy gas but I've been running 93 octane ever since and of course that didn't fix it. Hoping for a real fix soon. Thanks for the all the research @03'Darin

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford won't pay you?

The plugs are ****** $42 and probably less with your cost, and 20mins of work

This whole thread is a joke

You have no frigging clue how automobile manufacturers work. It ain’t just a Ford thing it’s all of them. The manufacturers dictate troubleshooting.