Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caleb

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a fair amount. So I don't think there's a need to explain what I'm getting. What I am wondering is what's the best way to get rid of it? The things I'm considering that others have reported working are new spark plugs (sp452 motorcraft plugs), pedal commander (recent reviews have been much more mixed on this), an MPT Tune.

Am I missing other options? Of these, which will actually get rid of the stutter? If I can spend $50 on plugs and be done with it, then I'd prefer that. Then take the $700 I'd spend on tunes and Ngauge and buy a CAI and coil spring collar to level the truck out.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a fair amount. So I don't think there's a need to explain what I'm getting. What I am wondering is what's the best way to get rid of it? The things I'm considering that others have reported working are new spark plugs (sp452 motorcraft plugs), pedal commander (recent reviews have been much more mixed on this), an MPT Tune.

Am I missing other options? Of these, which will actually get rid of the stutter? If I can spend $50 on plugs and be done with it, then I'd prefer that. Then take the $700 I'd spend on tunes and Ngauge and buy a CAI and coil spring collar to level the truck out.

MPT tune will NOT fix your problem. You need to go to the dealer and make sure you have the latest flash. Make THEM fix your issue.

Ecoboost has a terrible spark plug history. It eats plugs and is picky with gap and heat range. Many go with the different heat range you said and gap .025.

OP
OP
C

caleb

Reaction score
Not sure if it's being implied my plugs are worn, my truck has ~800 miles on it. I sure as hell hope it doesn't NEED new plugs. If new plugs in a different temp range fixes my issue, then fantastic, I'd be happy.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was another post and the owner said he pulled the stock plugs and checked the gap and they were at .021-22, he said he gapped them to .028 and it ran smooth and was all good. Figure it’s Worth a shot.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was another post and the owner said he pulled the stock plugs and checked the gap and they were at .021-22, he said he gapped them to .028 and it ran smooth and was all good. Figure it’s Worth a shot.

That was me. I was getting hesitation under mid throttle. The regap fixed it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Am I missing other options? Of these, which will actually get rid of the stutter? If I can spend $50 on plugs and be done with it, then I'd prefer that. Then take the $700 I’d spend on tunes and Ngauge and buy a CAI and coil spring collar to level the truck out
Not sure if it's being implied my plugs are worn, my truck has ~800 miles on it. I sure as hell hope it doesn't NEED new plugs. If new plugs in a different temp range fixes my issue, then fantastic, I'd be happy.

[=/QUOTE]

yeah, bite the bullet and take the truck to a dealer with a good service department. You’ve got less than 1k miles on a new truck that you just shelled out scores of thousands of dollars for. Ford should do the troubleshooting and fixing, not you. Even if you’re mechanically inclined or really good with engines, there’s a more important reason.

What if it’s not a simple problem?

If you’ve changed the plugs out, the mechanic now is forced to validate or invalidate your change(s) to troubleshoot the issue.

But, let’s say you do the homework and based on some feedback you get from other Rap users you want different plugs. Dealer changes them and they warranty the work; This is cheap insurance for previous Ford truck engines with a penchant for spitting spark plugs out. Have Ford change the spark plugs, and if the plugs get shot out during the repair warranty, boom. covered. More than one Lightning owner saved a bit of money doing this.

YMMV, but I think the most correct answer here is to let Ford sort it out.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

is it a delay in throttle response, or is the truck falling down?

Any codes or lights?

Is your truck a 17 or 18?

I've actually helped a Ford dealer ( service manager is actually extremely technical) trouble shoot stumble problems on a few GT350s.

The reason is I brought this is up is... one car actually killed the clutch due to an intake tube not being tightened properly from the factory. every time the driver would try to feather so it wouldnt stall, the ECU would increase RPM for some reason.

I have noticed on 2 different raptors that the two plugs that people remove for the chipwerke/jms style resistor "tuners" were actually loose enough before adding these things to cause idle issues and full throttle issues.

I'd also seen what happens to these trucks (18s with the PCV circuit sensor on it) when there is an intake or PCV leak of any type... The idle goes nuts from time to time, then when rolling on the gas, the truck falls flat on its face.

net/net, the truck needs to go back to the dealer WITHOUT anyone but the dealer dicking around with it. you want this on record in the event you have a catastrophic failure.

I'd put money on it either being an intake or pcv leak, the gap on the plugs, or loose electrical connections.

also...

public service announcement:

mgd, sasquatch( with a number after it) and guy will spew recommendations based on their interpretation of shit that they read on the internet.

none of their comments or recommendations are based on working on one of these, having one, or realistically any applicable, real world, self-observed information that might cause you to give what they say " a shot".

none of what they type is anything other than opinions they generate based on what they read, with no thought for source validation.

signed,

the raptor owner that is just about fed up with FRF and the staggering amount of trolling allowed by the owner is insane and has significantly diminished what this site has been and could continue to be.

SO, whoever BRIAN D. is from Casa Grande, AZ that is listed as the owner, tech contact, and registrant for this site, PLEASE, for the sake of your members and advertisers, clean it up.

I'll buy a lifetime supporter membership if you do.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok dude time out.

I’ve been on this forum for a year. I’ve written multiple reviews, helpful how-TO’s and have considerable experience working on my truck as well as other cars in my collection.

Further, NEVER put me in the category of MGD. If you don’t like what I have to say please take a hike. You’ve been here for 2 months. Don’t start with me. I haven’t done anything to you or anyone else.

is it a delay in throttle response, or is the truck falling down?

Any codes or lights?

Is your truck a 17 or 18?

I've actually helped a Ford dealer ( service manager is actually extremely technical) trouble shoot stumble problems on a few GT350s.

The reason is I brought this is up is... one car actually killed the clutch due to an intake tube not being tightened properly from the factory. every time the driver would try to feather so it wouldnt stall, the ECU would increase RPM for some reason.

I have noticed on 2 different raptors that the two plugs that people remove for the chipwerke/jms style resistor "tuners" were actually loose enough before adding these things to cause idle issues and full throttle issues.

I'd also seen what happens to these trucks (18s with the PCV circuit sensor on it) when there is an intake or PCV leak of any type... The idle goes nuts from time to time, then when rolling on the gas, the truck falls flat on its face.

net/net, the truck needs to go back to the dealer WITHOUT anyone but the dealer dicking around with it. you want this on record in the event you have a catastrophic failure.

I'd put money on it either being an intake or pcv leak, the gap on the plugs, or loose electrical connections.

also...

public service announcement:

mgd, sasquatch( with a number after it) and guy will spew recommendations based on their interpretation of shit that they read on the internet.

none of their comments or recommendations are based on working on one of these, having one, or realistically any applicable, real world, self-observed information that might cause you to give what they say " a shot".

none of what they type is anything other than opinions they generate based on what they read, with no thought for source validation.

signed,

the raptor owner that is just about fed up with FRF and the staggering amount of trolling allowed by the owner is insane and has significantly diminished what this site has been and could continue to be.

SO, whoever BRIAN D. is from Casa Grande, AZ that is listed as the owner, tech contact, and registrant for this site, PLEASE, for the sake of your members and advertisers, clean it up.

I'll buy a lifetime supporter membership if you do.

Last edited:

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the plugs to Motorcraft SP542 @ .025"

If that doesn't solve your problem

Take it to the dealer.