Thinking of getting into a raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c10ianlee

Reaction score
Hi all,

recently moved to a rural town in new mexico. i've usually been a sports car guy (e92 M3 to current F82 M4) but out here i just dont get the use out of the car that i would like. i have been thinking about trading in the bimmer for a 2013-14 raptor. theres one at a local dealer in town, but seems a bit over priced. what do you think?

76.5k miles
801a package
tuxedo black

they are asking $43k for it.

also, is there anything specific to look for when buying used raptor? i heard the fox shocks can be pricey to rebuild, but they didnt seem to be leaking. any way to tell?

thanks all!
-ian

jaytperry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

recently moved to a rural town in new mexico. i've usually been a sports car guy (e92 M3 to current F82 M4) but out here i just dont get the use out of the car that i would like. i have been thinking about trading in the bimmer for a 2013-14 raptor. theres one at a local dealer in town, but seems a bit over priced. what do you think?

76.5k miles
801a package
tuxedo black

also, is there anything specific to look for when buying used raptor? i heard the fox shocks can be pricey to rebuild, but they didnt seem to be leaking. any way to tell?

thanks all!
-ian
seems high to me, at that mileage i wouldnt pay over 35k. as for what to look at, well skid plates are a good start, the thin metal is easily bent so you will know if its been offroad. shocks can be expensive, especially if the person helping you likes to break shit. anyway lol motor is solid, havent had an issue with mine. relocate fuse 27, that thing can leave you stranded.

OP
OP
C

c10ianlee

Reaction score
thanks much! i dont think i can talk the stealership down to 35k haha. what would you say is a fair deal? 40 OTD after taxes?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
thanks much! i dont think i can talk the stealership down to 35k haha. what would you say is a fair deal? 40 OTD after taxes?

That would be a fair deal, but if it’s been sitting on the lot for a while then hit them low and see how much they want to move it.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

76.5k miles
801a package
tuxedo black

thanks all!
-ian

Where at in NM? $43k is high but that's a given at pretty much any dealership, I saw a red Supercrew sit for literally a year on the lot in Artesia because they just want too damn much. Also seen some smoking deals I missed out on like the black Roush supercharged Supercab in Santa Fe for $41k a few years ago. Too bad you didn't make an offer last week, being the end of the month (and quarter) they may be more inclined to deal. Still, I would think it's actually worth somewhere between $35-40k so make 'em an offer.

BTW the '14s still seem to carry a premium, last year of the Gen1 and even with Gen2 out they hold value well. Things to look for: offroad abuse like skidplate damage as @jtperry mentioned, earlier ('10-'12) models are a bit more susceptible to bent frames, check the area above the rear axle and make sure the lines match between the back of the cab and the front of the bed. Check shocks for fluid leakage, they aren't expensive to rebuild ($500-ish for all four and you can do it yourself if you're inclined to) or replace (maybe $2k or so new/used) but can get really expensive if you want to upgrade (you have been warned lol!). Listen closely to the front end for clunks; balljoints and tie rods are wear items. Make damn sure all the electronics work, not that there are bad issues there, just that electrical problems can be a bitch to find if they do come up. Make sure 4wd engages and disengages; IWE or In-Wheel Engagement can sometimes be an issue especially of somebody abused it. Check the rubber, those 35's ain't cheap and while I doubt it's on the original tires you might be able to see if the previous owner had a lead foot.

You won't be disappointed, there's not a better truck for around here...

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd low ball them, see what they'll do. If they don't want to deal, pass. There are plenty more fish in the sea. Good luck. They are badass rigs that are a ton of fun and command respect both on and off road.