Theft Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why are F-150/Raptor's being stolen what seems like left and right in San Antonio right now? A 40% increase over just last year (which was high already)
They aren't towing them away; they are driving off with them.
People leaving spare keys in them? I don’t know, but you can’t just hop in and start a vehicle with an immobilizer without a valid key. One of the recent stories I saw out of San Antonio was a stolen 2004 F-250; it was a base model without an immobilizer.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s really not necessary. The ignition will not transition on without a valid key being detected in the vehicle. Most thieves are low tech idiots. They steal vehicles by breaking the shift interlock and either pushing the vehicle away by hand or using another vehicle. There’s plenty examples of tow trucks being used as well. No kill switch nor ravelco will prevent that.

As far as the high tech “relay” devices that supposedly amplify the signal of nearby keys, it’s not as straight forward as it sounds. When the ignition button is pressed, the BCM activates the antennas, which send a low frequency signal within a 3 foot range to activate the key. When the passive key activates, it sends an ID code to the RTM via a high frequency signal. The RTM then networks that information over a private bus to the BCM. So it’s not like a thief can casually pass by you and obtain your fob’s signal and start your vehicle.

Even if a thief was to have access to the Ford scan tool, they still cannot steal the vehicle. When the alarm is armed, the BCM will set off the alarm if it detects any scan tool attempting to establish communication on the network. It also blocks PATS access so that keys cannot be erased or programmed. This is why if you lose both key fobs and the alarm is set, the BCM will need to be replaced in most cases.

Apparently Chrysler didn’t have the key programming restriction built into their system until recently, which makes Chargers and Challengers a popular target for thrives.

In another thread we were discussing the new network architecture that debuted on 2021+ F-150, as it is preventing some emissions equipment from communicating. To improve security against hackers, the new system uses a remote mounted OBD2 port with an Enhanced Central Gateway Module buried behind the dash. That means none of the vehicles networks can be accessed directly from the OBD2 port; all communication is through the Gateway Module.
I have IDS/FDRS and I can not program keys. Being an independent shop FoMoCo shuts that feature off unless you do a few things that cost quite a bit. I only do a job that requires keys to be programmed once every couple months so I just call a mobile guy to come do it. It is not financially viable at this time.

Just saying the amount a people that have access to full functioning IDS/FDRS inside or especially outside a dealer is pretty limited.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have IDS/FDRS and I can not program keys. Being an independent shop FoMoCo shuts that feature off unless you do a few things that cost quite a bit. I only do a job that requires keys to be programmed once every couple months so I just call a mobile guy to come do it. It is not financially viable at this time.

Just saying the amount a people that have access to full functioning IDS/FDRS inside or especially outside a dealer is pretty limited.
Good insight. You’re right, just because someone has access to IDS/FDRS does not necessarily mean they have the capability to program keys.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why are F-150/Raptor's being stolen what seems like left and right in San Antonio right now? A 40% increase over just last year (which was high already)
They aren't towing them away; they are driving off with them.

because they can get to Mexico on a single tank of gas from S/A and once they’re south of the border, the truck is practically gone. The thieves are paid by people in Mexico to get the Raptor. Regardless of how hard it is to activate the ignition without expensive stuff, the truck is comically easy to break into.
all they need is a pair of vice grips that will fit in their pocket, pull the handle out, vice grip the lock cylinder open and they’re inside. It took me longer to type that last sentence than it takes a beginner thief to execute this entry.

OP
OP
W

wagner262

Reaction score
I am not totally sure how they do it. Many of the write ups above are probably accurate. I do know just in the last few months I’ve seen a few raptors stolen and multiple f150 same years being stolen. They had news articles in SA about it because it was so bad. They all go to Mexico if they aren’t recovered before leaving.

I guess I was just curious about the upfitter. I am sure it can be done

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
People leaving spare keys in them? I don’t know, but you can’t just hop in and start a vehicle with an immobilizer without a valid key. One of the recent stories I saw out of San Antonio was a stolen 2004 F-250; it was a base model without an immobilizer.
But telling folks that it isn’t necessary is somewhat irresponsible without really knowing what these thieves are actually doing. The system is being defeated quickly and they are driving off. I fully understand that towing a vehicle off will defeat any type of kill switch.

Here is a response from a shop in San Antonio that is trying to combat this. The owners own raptors themselves and well respected.

“They are not using keys. They have a laptop. These are not low tech thieves. I have pictures and videos. We have plenty of people that come through the shop and hear all the stories. I’ve only heard of a small few that have left their keys in the vehicle”

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
because they can get to Mexico on a single tank of gas from S/A and once they’re south of the border, the truck is practically gone. The thieves are paid by people in Mexico to get the Raptor. Regardless of how hard it is to activate the ignition without expensive stuff, the truck is comically easy to break into.
all they need is a pair of vice grips that will fit in their pocket, pull the handle out, vice grip the lock cylinder open and they’re inside. It took me longer to type that last sentence than it takes a beginner thief to execute this entry.
Yep fully aware how easy it is to break-in with the lock cylinder but people have been defeating it by replacing the driver side with a passenger side that doesn’t have a lock cylinder or jimmy jammer by blocking it. That isn’t stopping thieves anymore. Now they are using a punch device, breaking the window in the corner and grabbing the knob to unlock with a tool that can.

Attachments

• 2447A76C-D430-497B-B973-ABD3EAEB9337.jpeg
    2447A76C-D430-497B-B973-ABD3EAEB9337.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 4BDF5DD0-D49B-4CAF-97C3-2BD78B7F028B.jpeg
    4BDF5DD0-D49B-4CAF-97C3-2BD78B7F028B.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 60

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But telling folks that it isn’t necessary is somewhat irresponsible without really knowing what these thieves are actually doing. The system is being defeated quickly and they are driving off. I fully understand that towing a vehicle off will defeat any type of kill switch.

Here is a response from a shop in San Antonio that is trying to combat this. The owners own raptors themselves and well respected.

“They are not using keys. They have a laptop. These are not low tech thieves. I have pictures and videos. We have plenty of people that come through the shop and hear all the stories. I’ve only heard of a small few that have left their keys in the vehicle”
So this information is from a shop that is making money selling add-on anti-theft devices, but they have no idea how the thefts are occurring? I’d take that with a grain of salt.

My post was not to tell anyone what to or what not to do, just to provide information on how the system works. To your point, if we don’t know how these thefts are occurring, it may be a complete waste of money to install an aftermarket system that is not needed.

After thinking it over, one possibility I’ve considered is they are simply using ForScan with an extended license, which allows for key programming. All they need to do is find an unlocked/unarmed vehicle, start a key-off session, and gain security access. If that is the method being used, it can be prevented by locking/arming the truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep fully aware how easy it is to break-in with the lock cylinder but people have been defeating it by replacing the driver side with a passenger side that doesn’t have a lock cylinder or jimmy jammer by blocking it. That isn’t stopping thieves anymore. Now they are using a punch device, breaking the window in the corner and grabbing the knob to unlock with a tool that can.
That has been my thought all along; they will always find a way to get in. Window punch is just as quick as the door handle, but causes a lot more damage.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

how the **** are they doing anything with that? I see the hole punched, what are they doing from there?