The Truth According to BF Goodrich Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Something that would need to be considered here is that if there is just a slight difference in revolutions per mile, then you take a chance of throwing an abs light due to the tires not turning at the same rate......if you have them mis-matched that is. That is probably one of the main reasons Ford says to make sure all of them are matched.

Raptor enroute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great point SOCO never thought about it but then again that is the reason I like this place loads of smart folks

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't want to :deadhorse: but...

Ford's got to do a better job at explaining this to Raptor owners.

There appear to be 2 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires that are the same size. One is the "GM tire" and the other is the "Ford tire" and we need to use the "Ford tire" but...

Raptor owners need to know precisely how to specify THIS "special" tire!

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There appear to be 2 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires that are the same size. One is the "GM tire" and the other is the "Ford tire" and we need to use the "Ford tire" but...

Could have to do with rolling resistance.

Size can affect the revolutions and stress going into the drivetrain, but I believe rolling resistance can do the same.

I don't think the Raptor is any different than any other car here... you see performance vehicles with one-off tires all the time. I say someone should just bite the bullet and put a different size and type of tire on each wheel and tell us if/when the Raptor breaks down. :)

ChadB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put about 1500 miles or so on mismatched tires with no issues or warning lights. I will contact BFG and see if they will provide me with the correct tire from when I needed to replace it.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was on the "OF" and I am sure deleted by now, but we resolved this once already. To severely test my feeble memory, the issue was that the rubber in the standard tire was too hard, they weren't happy with it's performance in snow and mud. The new compound is softer, supposedly more forgiving of side-wall damage in desert running, and better traction and self cleaning that the old ones for the Midwest and East coast guys. Or something like that <G>.

Here is a blurb from a SEMA site that adresses what I referr to:

A tough truck needs tough tires, and a BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO 315/70-17 tire does the job.
To help improve the tire in a variety of conditions, the compound of the tread was altered. Engineers made the rubber softer for better performance on and off-road and for precise and predictable steering in a variety of conditions while the interior of the tire was modified to improve lateral firmness.

The tall sidewall on the 35-inch tire can handle rocks and irregular surfaces commonly experienced in an off-road environment. A 17-inch cast aluminum wheel is designed to absorb the impact of objects the truck could encounter in some of the most extreme environments.

BigJ and MarkT have some good posts in THIS thread:

Stock Raptor BFG Tires: What makes them unique.

http://tinyurl.com/yc69t5p

Falcon

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you go to the BFG website and enter your vehicle you get this
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...errain-t-a-ko/LT315|70R17|D+121S/tire-details

print it out and take it to whatever tire supplier you want and you are good to go...

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We got it resolved in this thread:
http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...hat-makes-them-unique&highlight=Goodrich+tire

In which MarkT posted this pic (note the arrow):

RaptorTire.jpg

And, using Frog Chuckers link above to the BFG site (thanks Frog Slinger!) you can go here:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/vehicle/2010/Ford/F-150+SVT+Raptor/4x4+Super+Cab/tires

Where it tells you this is the tire:
Size: LT315/70R17/D 121S

Note the "121S" suffix on the above model number. That's what does it.

If you go to the BFG site (following the above link) you'll note that they say this is a "possible substitute" but that's obviously not the same tire (and it's probably the one that Chad purchased):
LT315/70R17/D 121R

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW FINALLY thank you MMD that is all we had to see and hear. i was confused and frustrated at the same thing but never gave it any thought to bring it up thank you everyone for your input.

fillmoreranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The down and dirty...

The Raptor tire is the one with the "S" rating.

What is the difference? Let me tell ya...

The compound was changed for the Raptor tire. One of the Raptor forums had an online live session with SVT's Chief Design Engineer. In that thread he stated that during product testing, they changed the compound for better performance in SNOW... and a more quiet tire on pavement.

For a high speed desert racer, I found it interesting that they realized this truck would run through snow in some markets (like mine).

Still in doubt? Check it out yourself. It's online.