The Truth About The Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeepSeaOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh...for as much truth that was in the article they lost me with the "over-hyped" comment. I've lost track of the times I've turned on the TV only to see trucks towing the space shuttle, jumbo jets, cargo ships, or suspended by the tow hooks from steel cables.

I wonder how many owners tested those theories, did it wrong, only to find it led to parts falling off of their trucks that the warranty wouldn't cover?

I've also lost count of how many 4X4's I've seen towed home because the owners got a little frisky and pushed it too hard (myself included). You could virtually remove "Raptor" from the article and insert any mfgr you wish and it would be just as accurate so the guy doesn't win a Pulitzer prize with me for the effort.

Truth is I've NEVER seen a Raptor commercial and didn't know they existed at all until they were already in production 2 years and that's only because I stumbled upon one at a rifle match.

Over-hyped? Someone leads a very sheltered existence to say that about, of all vehicles...a Raptor. It ranks as one of the dumbest things I've ever heard said about them.

Now is there a level of excitement about them that's almost unheard of in 4X4 land? Sure...I wouldn't argue the point.

To armchair quarterback what a Raptor isn't, completely misses the point about what a Raptor is...likely one of the finest turn-key, smog legal, dirt machines ever offered to the public with a window sticker and warranty.

There's a reason its being copied.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it that we don't so that many write ups ( real tests) in the 4x4 mags now about the Raptor? Why aren't they compared against other vehicles in the tests anymore? I would think the truck would do pretty well even in the more Jeep oriented situations. The Addition of the Torsen front end and the locking rear diff , along with the great articulation and Factory 35s , combined with 410 gears is pretty capable. But I don't those comparisons being made.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the Raptor wasn't really built to compete with a jeep. It's wide and can't fit on most of the same trails. I do agree however on the fact that is somewhat as capable in some of the same areas as the jeep.