The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any joe

Reaction score
can u say rock crawling!!!! at one point I thought we got behind some jeeps!!!
I believe everyone deserves a chance but if you are not comfortable driving in these conditions you should not be out there!!!! I am not saying you have to drive 50mph but single under 10mph, come on. I was behind troy on this section and it was interesting not to get stuck we were going so slow!!!! I hve no problem with someone driving in there comfort zone and feel no one should over drive them, but I also feel that if that is your comfort zone you should not be out there!!!

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
when the 5 on delta got split off we where really hamming it up chattering like never before. with only 5 you can do that and have a fun conversation. But as soon as we heard blips of are group right away we stopped and changed to whether band. Thinking we where messing with their attempts to coordinate a situation. That impressed me! anyhow turns out they heard us and stopped and waited at a town. The group you start with is important to finish with that is why I was headed to the hotel regardless. I thank alpha for making sure we all got to a main road. More than once in are group I heard I'm going to give my self a little room to have some fun. The scenery was beautiful of what I had time to look at so if some one was doing more scenery looking than driving I could see the frustration. Maybe next year a group for scenic driving slow pace newbies would make for a more I want to go to another GLRE event with extreme excitement!

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, you are welcome in delta next year, just be prepared for mustache rides written on your tailgate.

For the rest of you and your "harmless" teasing, some jokes get old real quick....

It was not a fricken race and Jason told every group not to speed, we really didn't as we take those kinds of instruction to heart.. and our group had a great time and stayed together just fine.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Wilson, the video that dan quoted, where was that, i find it odd that there was no talking....lol

And i want to make it clear that nobody in our group slowed us down or inconvenienced us at any time. People drove how they were comfortable and took care of the guy in front and behind them, hell even our split up yielded a solid team of 5 trucks with a lead, mid, and chase.

That sounds awesome! I'll just need to bring my business cards and be sure to include a price point on that bumper :signs8:

Yeti didn't speed either, however some would debate if single digit speeds on graded roads was overly cautious. There were points when Dan caused the chase truck to be over a mile back, which in turn caused the lead truck to stop and regroup all weekend. I'm all for "staying together as a group", but if you really want to drive "that" much slower than the rest of your group, you should think about how it effects others experiences and seek a solution as to minimize your effect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Single digits would be a stretch, I'm not saying I never went single digits, but occasions were rare and never on graded roads. More like easing across bridges built for vehicles with a far slimmer diameter on trails, etc. I choose to pace myself with the first TRR's[ COLOR="Red"]45 mph speed limit[/COLOR]. Texas Raptor Run, the event which first established raptor runs IMO. Anything quicker was the categorized as fast which we often reached. However, when the rest of the group was trying to live a day in Robby Gordon's shoes, of course there would be extreme distance between the lead and chase. I know from Yeti group members, speeds were approaching what Robby would've been running in a race. Trying to convey the speed they were traveling and my discomfort in attempt to reach them myself under the conditions without saying "actual speeds".

Each time we caught another group I was able to maintain their speed, which speaks more to the collective rather than of the single individual.

And to respond to your statement the tortoise WAS trying to rid himself of the hares since day 1, so not my fault we ruined your experience.

Also, food for thought, the drive at your own comfortable speed and limits of the equipment initial recommendation should hold more weight. I broke 0 parts, got stuck 0 times, ran off the trails 0 times, and had a decent time at comfortable speeds short of the ridicule. It's by far not my first time wheeling, fixing to do a little off-roading this afternoon. I understand some people get excited and want to go balls out the first time they're off the pavement, but breaking stuff gets expensive. I would've drove a hundred if SOMEONE ELSE was paying for the repairs.

Last edited:

silverkitsune

Reaction score
can u say rock crawling!!!! at one point I thought we got behind some jeeps!!!
I believe everyone deserves a chance but if you are not comfortable driving in these conditions you should not be out there!!!! I am not saying you have to drive 50mph but single under 10mph, come on. I was behind troy on this section and it was interesting not to get stuck we were going so slow!!!! I hve no problem with someone driving in there comfort zone and feel no one should over drive them, but I also feel that if that is your comfort zone you should not be out there!!!

Thank you! I'm glad someone else saw and experienced what Roger and I were feeling. I agree completely comfort zone is one thing but at speeds like that we kept having to stop and that risks getting us stuck, if we're quoting the leader is saying momentum is your friend then someone wasn't listening to that. I loved last year's run had a blast, and I had fun this year too only because there were some great people to talk to but the whole situation was frustrating and losing com with lead was not enjoyable either, at one point we were over 3 miles away from the lead truck. We tried being patient and we tried giving him the benefit of the doubt but on the run where he was going 5 miles for the whole trail it was just too much. And I don't think it's right for people to be judging us when no one had to experience that but us and of course Donk when he took over. And Troy when his group caught up. Anyone else has no place in saying anything cuz guess what...you weren't there! If that makes anyone think less of me...guess what...I don't care. Yup that's right I don't give a crap. BOOM! Silver out.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, just stop posting about it. You were the single point of frustration for most of your group-mates, and while some of us are trying to be civil about it, some others will need to vent.

That's fine, I can have both of my other co drivers join FRF to allow them to vent as well. I was never in the vehicle alone and the others who shared the experience with me had like minded notions until the end. The last day my co-driver desperately pleaded to be released from the equally frustrating situation, being stuck with y'all. Really gets me, even 10 mph over the 25 mph speed limit in a town the last day was unacceptably slow on my part?

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was chase in yeti and I understand the fact of safety and keeping the group "together".
Keeping people in there comfort level of driving is what it should be but being in your comfort level and exceeding that is another.
Let's just say having over a 3 mile gap and moving at a speed of 3 mph is overly cautious especially on a clear lightly dusted "straight" trail.
This is when you should be making up ground.
Worst part was I was loosing communication with lead.
Brad I'm with you and there are a few others that understand what happened and the smoke that Dan is putting over everyone's eyes.
I'm tired of sitting back and listening to the crap that's being tossed out.
The enjoyment of the event is gone when someone decides to do whatever the hell he pleases hence the reason why everyone passed him and left him for me.
Nobody but me and Donk knew of these conditions except for Troy who was on my ass until he finally gave up and just stopped.
There is acceptable speeds and then there is unacceptable speeds.
Will this get me booted from being a support driver of GLRE? Probably.
But that's just life and I'm tired of being quite.

Good day! Rant off....

Ok, you lead next year and ill run your chase

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was chase in yeti and I understand the fact of safety and keeping the group "together".
Keeping people in there comfort level of driving is what it should be but being in your comfort level and exceeding that is another.
Let's just say having over a 3 mile gap and moving at a speed of 3 mph is overly cautious especially on a clear lightly dusted "straight" trail.
This is when you should be making up ground.
Worst part was I was loosing communication with lead.
Brad I'm with you and there are a few others that understand what happened and the smoke that Dan is putting over everyone's eyes.
I'm tired of sitting back and listening to the crap that's being tossed out.
The enjoyment of the event is gone when someone decides to do whatever the hell he pleases hence the reason why everyone passed him and left him for me.
Nobody but me and Donk knew of these conditions except for Troy who was on my ass until he finally gave up and just stopped.
There is acceptable speeds and then there is unacceptable speeds.
Will this get me booted from being a support driver of GLRE? Probably.
But that's just life and I'm tired of being quite.

Good day! Rant off....

Sorry about that ticket on your way home... Faster isn't always better.