The FRF Shock Shootout! All pre event details and discussion here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Then the manufacturer will tell me "we don't care" then we set the stop to 0psi and the problem is solved, right?

If they tell me "uhh well you COULD but we strongly recommend..." then that's info we customers should have, and consider strongly before buying.

What I do not want to do is be a manufacturer's proving ground with someone's loaner truck. If they give me the second answer, I do not want to say "well that's nice but to keep the playing field level we're going to chance it."

Let me ask: does anyone know the "official" word from companies like Fox, King or Icon? What do they officially say? Seems like we're putting the cart before the horse here...

Yes yes yes. All I am saying. Let's see what Fox King and Icon want first, then let's cross this bridge.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
is there a control like a stock truck? Or maybe youse only one truck or 2 3 trucks not nesaceraly even a raptor if all we are trying to do is find the best shock. Go find a cheep truck that can be trashed. Myth buster stile.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then the manufacturer will tell me "we don't care" then we set the stop to 0psi and the problem is solved, right?

If they tell me "uhh well you COULD but we strongly recommend..." then that's info we customers should have, and consider strongly before buying.

What I do not want to do is be a manufacturer's proving ground with someone's loaner truck. If they give me the second answer, I do not want to say "well that's nice but to keep the playing field level we're going to chance it."

Let me ask: does anyone know the "official" word from companies like Fox, King or Icon? What do they officially say? Seems like we're putting the cart before the horse here...
I'm sure Icon will pitch in... but they don't have one installed on their shop truck, which was used for R&D and testing on their shocks. So it's clear they won't request one.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So will the stock shock set up use a bump kit that may aid in the results of the test even though (Ford) the manufacture doesn't suggest one?

I agree with BlueSVT, if the course is surveyed and pre ran frame bending shouldn't be an issue with or without a bump kit. Really everything is working in the frames favor; stock, more resistive rear springs (possibly only stock springs tested), no weight in the bed, regulated speed, pre ran course... If you manage to bend the frame doing this, I think that sane and safety comment was crossed.

Perhaps IF a bump kit must be used, open the bump cans and shorten the stop travel by an inch so the shocks have 5-6"s of up travel to do thier work in before any aided interference.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lets not lose perspective guys. So far:

-we have no test truck. If we land one, we probably can't afford to be picky about the mods it may or may not come with.

-we have one company, ICON, offering up two sets of their shocks plus an OEM set. That means we will be testing those sets and the OEM as ICON suggests and within the limits placed upon us by the loaner truck, and its owner.

That's all we know as of right now. Lets let this unfold and take it as it comes. Aight?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets not lose perspective guys. So far:

-we have no test truck. If we land one, we probably can't afford to be picky about the mods it may or may not come with.

-we have one company, ICON, offering up two sets of their shocks plus an OEM set. That means we will be testing those sets and the OEM as ICON suggests and within the limits placed upon us by the loaner truck, and its owner.

That's all we know as of right now. Lets let this unfold and take it as it comes. Aight?

True that!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing Big J's point. The reason for the bumps is to protect the frame of the donor truck. If you want to see a comparison without bumps offer your truck up for the test and we can run no bumps. You can deal with it if the frame gets tweeked. Fair?

Sounds like we need a 2013 test raptor...

Yukon Joe

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First thing first....the question asked was does any shock Mfg recommend the use of a bump stop with their shocks? I believe I can speak for the 3 shock manufactures of "Raptor Specific Shocks" and confirm none of us built shocks with the reservation that bump stop kits would be a requirement to use them. Upgraded aftermarket shocks (coilovers / rear shocks) are sold through ICON Vehicle Dynamics for almost every vehicle make out there, with 1 of 2 things in mind. To gain lift height to fit a larger tire for esthetic look, or to maximize performance of said vehicle for how the owner will use it and the conditions it will be faced with. ICON sells products all over the world to many different demographics in many different regions on many different terrains. For that reason we have developed "Stages" ranging from 1-6 so the vehicle owner can choose what best fits their needs. Our Stage 1 kit is almost always shocks only (front coilover / rear shocks), then it moves on up adding components to "maximize performance" of the said vehicle. The final stage will offer you the best performing products we produce.

Now for the purpose we were under the impression this "shock shoot out" was ultimately designed for was the following:

- to depict how the 3 different Mfg's shocks perform
- to educate fellow raptor owners on their strengths and weakness's
- to offer raptor owners assistance in the decision making process as to which shock would best fit their needs based on the results of this test

The test would include and be based on things "like"

- Installation Instructions / Documentation
- Supplied Tech info
- Supplied Tuning info
- Fit and Finish
- Shock Features
- Ride height out of the box / ride height adjust ability range / easy of adjustment
- Tuning adjust ability and what it requires of the end user
- Ride quality out of the box from the Mfg on street / highway / dirt roads / reasonable size whoops for a street drivable truck / evasive off road maneuvers ect.......and offer what tuning recommendations the Mfg supplied for a given terrain or situation

Those are things that can help someone make an educated decision about their purchase of a performance after market shock. 3.0 shock's alone offer a significant upgrade in overall performance with out a doubt, and providing quality information about each shock would be huge for someone making a purchase of this caliber.

IMO none of the trucks should be driven at a level that a rear frame gusset would not be sufficient to get quality results doing this test. Some of the variables now being discussed are changing this into a full blown "Suspension Shootout". I do not believe that is what is best for the big picture. If that is what the people of FRF are looking for, in ICON's case, we are working on a complete suspension system and can not offer a set up today. Of course you could use other Mfg's products in conjunction with our shocks, but you would not be testing what ICON brings to the table as a performance shock and suspension manufacturer in one. This would need to wait a few months when our complete suspension system is released, and at that 2 of the 3 will never being making anything like this. Def think the water can get muddy real fast but at the end this is about you the FRF member, and what you would like it to be. Hopefully this does all come together with a quality test that gives all you passionate Raptor owners the education your looking for.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why a test is not a test un tell you find the braking point, if we have 3 different shocks we need 3 different test vehicles. Their has to be 3 cheep f150 out there. I would like a test of stock shocks with the equal

Status
Not open for further replies.