The FRF Shock Shootout! All pre event details and discussion here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again people, this won't be a cut and dry winner. Your gonna be provided with data and comments and you will have to do some critical thinking and inference the your own winner when it comes to your situations.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All we are getting at, is that it will not be an equal comparison if bump kits are used on some shocks, and not on others, or some with 50 psi, and some with 150 psi. At that point you're getting into a custom tuned set up not just testing the shock itself.

It sounds like so much work and time and planning is going into making this as even and un-biased as possible, yet one element like a bump kit will totally skew the results, and definitely affect performance.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All we are getting at, is that it will not be an equal comparison if bump kits are used on some shocks, and not on others, or some with 50 psi, and some with 150 psi. At that point you're getting into a custom tuned set up not just testing the shock itself.

It sounds like so much work and time and planning is going into making this as even and un-biased as possible, yet one element like a bump kit will totally skew the results, and definitely affect performance.
I understand.

This doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Like I said, I'm not against having the drivers run the course with each shock at each manufacturer's suggested PSI. We'll just need to account for the extra time and money its going to take.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I say Forget the bump stops since we already know installing them will allow the truck to run faster... Determine what the best setup is with a stock truck, stock springs and with the different shocks installed. Run these setups first, then run other the other setups if time... Needs to have a set bottom line first then maybe later in the year it can be done again...

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to level the playing field not level the players. If one shock is weaker than the others why give it a pumped up crutch? So the end result can be wow all shocks were equal and none bottomed out.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If we take the approach of running each at the pressures recommended by all, we'll answer all the questions you're raising.

If budget and time allow, we'll do just that. If not, well then I'll need to make a judgement call and we'll have a controversy on our hands. But our goal, apparently, should be to budget for each shock running with stops set to the pressures recommended by all.

ICON: What say you regarding running your shocks (both 2.5s and 3.0s) on a truck with a frame reinforcement kit and a bump stop solution (King, Fox or otherwise)? Recommended pressure for those stops?

Last edited:

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people need the 3.0 shock upgrade, then they should be running a bump kit regardless. BlueSVT, would you consider removing your bumpstops before pushing your truck through whoop sections now that you have the 3.0 Icons?

Last edited:

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing Big J's point. The reason for the bumps is to protect the frame of the donor truck. If you want to see a comparison without bumps offer your truck up for the test and we can run no bumps. You can deal with it if the frame gets tweeked. Fair?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the point here but the driver better know the track like the back of his/her hand and drive within the limits. thats how the testing for us little people goes... Now if this were Ford doing the comparison thats a different story!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gore