The death of car culture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would say that EVs don't lend themselves well to 'car culture'. I can't say I'm that into car culture, but two of the biggest aspects of car culture is older vehicles that are restored and still running well today, and modifying stock vehicles to improve their performance.

I grew up after the muscle car era, but fortunately for me, the 80’s brought back the idea of performance in a vehicle. We look back on those cars now and think of them as archaic, but compared to a ’69 Merc or ’70 442, they’re light years more advanced. Plus, I was close enough to a drag strip to see the older guys who had spend the time and money and had the results to show for it.

Then the 90’s rolled around and it was ok, but then you had this weirdo-cult like “hot hatch” crowd ******** it up for everyone. Clarkson didn’t do us any favors by extolling their virtues on Top Gear, and next thing you know there were 10 fartcan equipped H*nda civics for every f-body, fox or sn95 mustang or Corvette.

So, are the fart can sporting, lowered Hondas part of car culture?
If they are, I would ask if they have to be :cool:

OTOH, I know my neighbor growing up took a beat up Civic + a big @$$ shot of N20 to MIR and did a solid, low 13 quarter mile time, so I guess they can’t all be bad.

As EV’s mature, we’ll see some knuckleheads like us get a hold of them. we’ll see bigger power, tire shredding burnouts, and who knows what else...

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resale value will be junk. College student in FL bought a used EV, paid $ 11k for it, in 6 months she was told the batteries need to be replaced, $ 14K including the disposal fee. Like buying an IC car with 350,000 miles, it will cost you.
Is this the article where not only the replacement battery is more than the purchase price of the used car but that the battery was discontinued? If so, total loss of investment plus its gonna cost to get rid of it! It would help if manufacturers would stick to a standard size battery area / casing but as of now I haven't heard of it. So as EVs age they will turn into driveway bricks / investment disasters and cause more environmental damaged than they claim to help!

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Totally agree.

How tf does anyone expect to tune up and polish an EV to impress a girl on date night.

EV cruise ins on summer saturdays?

With the charger dead, how are the polices gonna haul someone to jail
Those who have electric cars and think they are impressing anyone other than the EV crowd don't go on dates. They stay home and tune up and polish themselves.

For the original post, when I see the Lightning, it looks just like any other 2wd f-150. Definitely nothing special. First one I saw got a second look. After that, it's just another truck on the road. The car culture is not going anywhere because there are so many cultures within the culture. I see all types of groups that meet up in parking lots from lowered imports, early 2000's trucks, classic muscle cars, and even the EV crowd (probably playing dungeons and dragons). As long as there is a mode of transportation, there will be a collection of like minded individuals who gather to hang out and talk about whatever they are driving/riding.