The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ever since Ford introduced the new Raptor with the ecoboost V6, I have heard mostly bitching and complaining about this all new motor. It's like you're all 75 year old man that say "back in the good ole days I had a V8 in my truck..blah blah blah."

I emplore you......go test drive an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. You will be amazed with the acceleration and the torque. Truth be told, I own both (a '14 Raptor and a '14 ecoboost F150) I honestly wish my Raptor had the ecoboost motor. The torque on this thing puts you back in your seat. It's quite impressive really. If technology trickles down (or up in this case) Ford will have V8 sounds pumped into the cab and it will sound just like a V8. (I drove an eco '15 F150 last week, it sounded just like an F150.) keep in mind, this new 3.5 should have more horsepower than the raptor now! I can't wait to see what this feels like!

and by the way.....you guys that say "I won't buy a Raptor with a V6!" Plllleeeeeaaaaasssseee!!!! Your ass hurts!! If you're a true Raptor enthusiast, you won't let a motor get in your way.

Dude you need to see a doctor... Do you work for Ford LOL?? I have driven one and my daughter has a 14 Explorer with that motor. In a truck it sucks and the mpg is less than the GM DI V8's

jason07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you need to see a doctor... Do you work for Ford LOL?? I have driven one and my daughter has a 14 Explorer with that motor. In a truck it sucks and the mpg is less than the GM DI V8's

Unless something has changed, the ecoboost motor in the explorer is not the 3.5 liter, it's the 2.0 4 cylinder. You're right.....it blows! I had an Edge I with the 2.0. It was fine for the Edge but it didn't impress me.

What exactly did you drive with the 3.5, it wasn't an explorer.

2014 Rapture

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless something has changed, the ecoboost motor in the explorer is not the 3.5 liter, it's the 2.0 4 cylinder. You're right.....it blows! I had an Edge I with the 2.0. It was fine for the Edge but it didn't impress me.

What exactly did you drive with the 3.5, it wasn't an explorer.
The Explorer Sport comes with the 3.5 Ecoboost in it.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not stepping on toes but the Raptor is dead plain and simple. Had the SVT RUN!!! Now it is just a production or "optioned" F150 with a ringy dingy motor.

Nothing special about it and it will even be available xplan now. Hated to see it but SVT runs are usually short ones. Now it is just a regular item.

Ford has bet the farm and all of the kids on the V6 turbo ringy dingy so no way a V8 is in the cards unless it flops then to hell with saving face Ford might consider it.
That is my hope, lots of 17th on dealer lots showing of there fuckly rear quarters.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think everyone forgets this is a NEW 3.5L ecoboost and not the current Ecoboost. But for a current comparison (the new ecoboost will be even better) lets see how the 3.5L ecoboost compares to the 6.2L.

Ecoboost:
Torque 460lb-.ft @ 2500rpm
HP 380 @ 5250rpm

6.2L:
Torque 435lb-.ft @ 4500rpm
HP 411 @ 5500rpm

So you get more torque at a hell of a lot lower rpm. What is there to hate about that? The new motor will be even better than current numbers so thats something to be happy about.

I get it though, the ecoboost doesnt sound manly so you lose your man card. Im married and comfortable with my sexuality so I have nothing to prove. Sign me up for the new Raptor.

I believe the actual rpm numbers for the torque are slightly different per the Lincoln site:

380 hp @ 5,250 rpm 460 lb.-ft. @ 2,750 rpm
EPA-Estimated Rating 15 city/20 hwy/17 combined mpg (Navigator 4x4)

2015 Navigator | View Engine Specifications | Lincoln.com

yoursmiledoc

Reaction score
Looks good but I think our current V-8's will always be able to outrun it.

I am interested to see what they did to the chassis. In the announcement they said that they made the chassis more "offered worthy"

I ordered my 2014 a few months before they quit building them so I am happy with my decision. Fall of 2016 is a long ways away too.

I thought that too until the current ecoboost 3.5 i n an f150 kicked my butt. Now I have a 2012 FX4 crew with locker and an ecoboost. It is way faster and tows better than my raptor. Search for SDHQ ecoboost raptor and watch the video. The new ecoboost may be the direct injection version in the GT mustang. Either way, it will be way better than my 3.5 which already out powers my raptor.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also don't forget those numbers are for a stock Tune!

Everyone is mostly running a Tune and feels the torque difference.

You open the throttle up 100% on the 6.2L before 3,500 rpm and those torque numbers will change to higher and sooner.
And HP will be a little higher to boot.

AND, you can get 17 mpg highway out of a 6.2L. Although, that's no fun.

Last edited: