Test Drive - Won't shift Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jricher82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here, shopping for my new ride and test drove a 2010 Raptor 6.2L.

Right off the bat I was disappointed, they had to jump the truck to get it started. Truck started so my test drive began.

Once I got it on the road and began to accellerate, I noticed the transmission would not shift from 1st to 2nd gear. RPMs arrived at between 3K and 4K and still nothing. Brought the truck to a complete stop, and took off again with the same issue, reaching almost 5K RPMs still without a shift in gears.

Got back the the dealership and asked that they take it to service and tell me what the deal is. Service Rep advised me that becasue the battery is dea, the truck is in "SAFE MODE" and will not shift.

Sounded like a lame excuse to me so instead of calling him out and walking out never to be heard from again, I told them to replace the battery and make sure it's driveable and maybe I'll come back and try again.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experience anything similar with their truck? I'm obviously looking at other trucks but this was just an odd experience I'd like to sort out for my own piece of mind.

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
jricher82

jricher82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here, shopping for my new ride and test drove a 2010 Raptor 6.2L.

Right off the bat I was disappointed, they had to jump the truck to get it started. Truck started so my test drive began.

Once I got it on the road and began to accellerate, I noticed the transmission would not shift from 1st to 2nd gear. RPMs arrived at between 3K and 4K and still nothing. Brought the truck to a complete stop, and took off again with the same issue, reaching almost 5K RPMs still without a shift in gears.

Got back the the dealership and asked that they take it to service and tell me what the deal is. Service Rep advised me that becasue the battery is dea, the truck is in "SAFE MODE" and will not shift.

Sounded like a lame excuse to me so instead of calling him out and walking out never to be heard from again, I told them to replace the battery and make sure it's driveable and maybe I'll come back and try again.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experience anything similar with their truck? I'm obviously looking at other trucks but this was just an odd experience I'd like to sort out for my own piece of mind.

Thanks for looking!

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the shifter was in M ?

No 'M' on a 10, sounds like the trans is in limp mode, has blown some clutch packs (may have been replaced with no relearn), or is low on fluid.

In any case stay away and find something else trans issues get expensive fast.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres always another truck out there i wouldnt waste my time with that truck unless it was like 20,000$

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to ask it and I'm sure you were but it was in D and not 1? If you were in 1 it won't shift to second gear.

OP
OP
jricher82

jricher82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ask it and I'm sure you were but it was in D and not 1? If you were in 1 it won't shift to second gear.

Truck was in Drive, not in 1. Not in offroad mode and it was in 2WD. Just wouldn't shift. Dealer called me back and left me a message to let me know they replaced the battery. I haven't called back yet.