Tailgate Won’t Open While Truck is On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So for trucks built after 10/22/18, is correct operation after 21M06 is complete that the tailgate can not be opened while the truck is running?
Here’s the Owner’s Manual Addendum. It just states the truck needs to be in park and the release button needs to be pressed twice. It’s not stated, but apparently the engine needs to be off as well.

Attachments

• R21M06S1ADDUM.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 15

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, when they do the tailgate update they add a relay that is located in the area of the cab air filter.

If you remove the relay from its housing and put a jumper wire across the switched terminals, you can open the tailgate with the engine running again.

You will still have to double tap the soft button on the tailgate to open it and if you did the upfitter mod to open your tail gate it will work again as well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just an FYI, when they do the tailgate update they add a relay that is located in the area of the cab air filter.

If you remove the relay from its housing and put a jumper wire across the switched terminals, you can open the tailgate with the engine running again.

You will still have to double tap the soft button on the tailgate to open it and if you did the upfitter mod to open your tail gate it will work again as well.

Good info. A point of question, if you jump the relay, aren’t you essentially opening yourself back up to the tailgate opening while you’re rolling down the road? I understood this bit of the update to be the ‘last ditch’ preventative. I know it’s not popular, but losing cargo would be less popular.

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. A point of question, if you jump the relay, aren’t you essentially opening yourself back up to the tailgate opening while you’re rolling down the road? I understood this bit of the update to be the ‘last ditch’ preventative. I know it’s not popular, but losing cargo would be less popular.
Yes, if you jump the relay the tailgate can still open while the truck is moving if you double tap the button on the key or hit your upfitter switch mod.

That being said, I think most of the issues with the tail gate opening on its own were due to water intrusion into the tailgate connector. Part of the update is a dedicated wire to the tailgate popper that bypasses the connector to remedy this.

I think the relay they added was just an extra layer of protection to ensure the tailgate doesn‘t come open accidentally. Oh and to annoy guys like me….

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a slightly different opinion.

While I would certainly like the truck to behave as other trucks with simple, dumb opening mechanisms, I went over 3 years scoffing at that optional repair until one day on the way home from the gym, the tailgate just dropped open.

Allegedly it’s a water intrusion issue for the wire harness. I’m in south Texas, with over 300 days of sun / year and Lucille is garage kept. So after it happened that one time, I got the recall done, knowing full well this inconvenience would be a result. Infinitely preferable to cargo spilt on the street.

Is it ideal? No.
Is it effective? So far, so good.
And yeah, I have had to shut down the truck to open the tailgate once.

Like many of us, I can be a little enthusiastic with the throttle so I’m good with the fix if it keeps my cargo in the bed of my truck.
Enquiring minds want to know if you allow Lucille to date @Oldfart if he’s dressed purdy?

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is the tailgate thing a recall? I took my truck and letter in and was told they aren’t supposed to do anything unless it’s (opening for no reason) happening to me. I asked them to do it for preventative reasons and they just kinda gave me confused dirty looks. Like I’m just supposed to wait till it dumps my groceries down the road one day to confirm that I didn’t accidentally hit the key fob that one time two years ago?
YES,my dealership said the same.