Tailgate Won’t Open While Truck is On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSkunks

Reaction score
Picked up a 2019 a few days ago with 16,000 miles.

Today I was going to get something from the bed, tried to open the tailgate and nothing. Tried pressing it multiple times quickly like I saw online but it still wouldn’t open. Even from the key. Car was on and in park, car unlocked and fob in my pocket. Once car was turned off, I could open.

I saw that it had the recall work done, not sure if this is attributed to it.

Car is no longer under warranty and the dealer that performed the recall is a few hours way from me. Would this still be covered under the original recall through another dealer?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The tailgate opening recall changes the truck behavior so that the tailgate cannot come open while the truck is running. My ‘17 is the same post recall

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
The tailgate opening recall changes the truck behavior so that the tailgate cannot come open while the truck is running. My ‘17 is the same post recall
That’s seems like a pretty ****** fix to the problem. I thought I read online that some had the ability to open it by pressing the release 2 times very quickly and that they even had to hand over new instructions to the owner.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Well, that's pretty stupid.

I have a slightly different opinion.

While I would certainly like the truck to behave as other trucks with simple, dumb opening mechanisms, I went over 3 years scoffing at that optional repair until one day on the way home from the gym, the tailgate just dropped open.

Allegedly it’s a water intrusion issue for the wire harness. I’m in south Texas, with over 300 days of sun / year and Lucille is garage kept. So after it happened that one time, I got the recall done, knowing full well this inconvenience would be a result. Infinitely preferable to cargo spilt on the street.

Is it ideal? No.
Is it effective? So far, so good.
And yeah, I have had to shut down the truck to open the tailgate once.

Like many of us, I can be a little enthusiastic with the throttle so I’m good with the fix if it keeps my cargo in the bed of my truck.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is the tailgate thing a recall? I took my truck and letter in and was told they aren’t supposed to do anything unless it’s (opening for no reason) happening to me. I asked them to do it for preventative reasons and they just kinda gave me confused dirty looks. Like I’m just supposed to wait till it dumps my groceries down the road one day to confirm that I didn’t accidentally hit the key fob that one time two years ago?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is the tailgate thing a recall? I took my truck and letter in and was told they aren’t supposed to do anything unless it’s (opening for no reason) happening to me. I asked them to do it for preventative reasons and they just kinda gave me confused dirty looks. Like I’m just supposed to wait till it dumps my groceries down the road one day to confirm that I didn’t accidentally hit the key fob that one time two years ago?
The dealer is correct, the bulletins only apply if the concern has occurred. There are 2 FSAs, the first one is 20N03 and only applies to 2017-2018 trucks built 10/22/18 and earlier. The FSA has the dealer install a jumper pigtail to separate the tailgate opening circuits from the rest of the harness. The reason for this is to prevent a short to voltage on the tailgate release circuit in the event that there is water migration in the harness.

Trucks built after 10/22/18 already have the jumper harness from the factory. 21M06 applies to 2017-2020 trucks and was released to address an issue where water from damaged weatherstripping, a replacement windshield, or plugged ROP drains leaks into the BCM and causes damage/shorts.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
The dealer is correct, the bulletins only apply if the concern has occurred. There are 2 FSAs, the first one is 20N03 and only applies to 2017-2018 trucks built 10/22/18 and earlier. The FSA has the dealer install a jumper pigtail to separate the tailgate opening circuits from the rest of the harness. The reason for this is to prevent a short to voltage on the tailgate release circuit in the event that there is water migration in the harness.

Trucks built after 10/22/18 already have the jumper harness from the factory. 21M06 applies to 2017-2020 trucks and was released to address an issue where water from damaged weatherstripping, a replacement windshield, or plugged ROP drains leaks into the BCM and causes damage/shorts.
So for trucks built after 10/22/18, is correct operation after 21M06 is complete that the tailgate can not be opened while the truck is running?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They called and said they were ordering the parts for me. Right before telling me I needed all new brakes. Thanks guys… :buttkick:

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet if you douce that whole harness is some corrosionX or other dielectric grease it will keep the water out of the harness too, i believe this is why I have no had an issue