Tailgate Won’t Open While Truck is On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So fun. Realized today that they fixed it too good. Tailgate won’t open by any method or under any conditions.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
so ... the button on the tailgate, you have to press 2x in a short window. any chance that’s it?
does your remote start work?

my remote start did not work, they left a harness not fully seated somewhere in the tailgate area...

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remote start works. Didn’t know about the double tap on tailgate button. Remote definitely doesn’t work on tailgate double tap anymore.

Edit

Nothing works to open the tailgate still. Taillights blink when I double tap the remote button, so I’m sure it’s something local.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called the dealership and they said to stop by tomorrow afternoon and they’ll see if it’s something quick and dumb so I don’t have to wait for another appointment.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They couldn’t find anything quick and obvious. Gotta drop it off next Friday for a proper appointment. The mechanic said he definitely checked it when he did the job. Seemed like an experienced high-level tech so no reason to doubt him tbh. Could be a coincidence I guess. I don’t know if I actually tried to open it in the last 3 weeks or so.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They found an ‘open circuit on the actuator and repaired it’ no charge. Must’ve pinched a wire or bumped something loose when they did the recall job. Works now so :rockit:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, is there a way to open the tailgate if the battery is dead or if the actuator is not working? I can't open my bed cover without opening the tailgate and I keep a lot of tools there. Just a random thought.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, is there a way to open the tailgate if the battery is dead or if the actuator is not working? I can't open my bed cover without opening the tailgate and I keep a lot of tools there. Just a random thought.
Not that they knew how to do. We had to open my trifold bed over with a coat hanger so they could disassemble the tailgate from inside.