Tailgate Squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHlebica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been hearing this squeaking noise in my truck which has been driving me nuts. So after some trouble shooting I found out it is coming from my tailgate. Not sure exactly where in the tailgate it is going from. When you wiggle the tailgate with it closed is when it squeaks. Doesn't do it when it is open. Not sure what I am going to do to fix this. When I found where the squeak was coming from it was dark and cold as can be outside so I didn't spend to much time working on a solution yet. At least I found out where the sound was coming from.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have access to a stethiscope you should be able to narrow down to the source. Even a length of hose or tubing put to your ear can help you do that if you don't have a stethiscope. You may also want to have somebody else drive your truck carefully down the road while you're in the back doing the stethiscope/hose trick.

OP
OP
J

JHlebica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can hear squeaking from the tail gate driving your truck?...?

yeah I can hear it. It is high pitched and I can always hear little squeaks and rattles. Things like that drive me insane.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
The ford f150 beds are known to squeak a lot already. Are you sure it's not that? Mine did it for a whole, I even went to the dealership about it.

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine squeaks at the bushings where the tail gate slips into the bed.
I am not a fan of the " old man step" as it adds weight to the tailgate and makes it bounce up when the tailgate is down. Its annoying. Not to mention all the dirt and debris falls in the holes in the liner.
So when I hit any kind of bump. The tailgate moves up and i get the squeak.
I plan on getting an EZ down to help keep the tailgate down.

sent from one of those damn cellularized telephones

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JHlebica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lubed up the tailgate where it mounts to the bed and also where the clasp are to close the tailgate. Squeak is gone