Tailgate - does this look normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my new truck, the tailgate really groaned, every time you lowered it. It was the right side where you can lift the tailgate out. It was well greased, but still made noise. I sprayed TriFlow into the joint and that solved the issue.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a moly grease, many trailer greases have moly (molybdenum) in it, which, when the grease gets pushed out and degrades it has a powdered moly in the greas that stays behing in the texture of the steel. As above user noted, simply wipe off it gets really dirty from attracted debris and reapply, it doesn't take much.

https://www.crcindustries.com/produ...i-purpose-lithium-grease-14-wt-oz-SL3330.html

Or, I use the brake caliper grease, as it comes in a tube with a small applicator tip, easier to apply and less mess than a grease gun or tub:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/brake-caliper-synthetic-grease-2-5-wt-oz-05351.html

r8ders

Reaction score
My raptor is brand new. When I swing the tailgate down it makes a pretty nasty squeak. I was looking at the corner hinges and they look different. The right side almost looks broken, but I can’t quite tell? When comparing the left corner to the right corner, do these pics look normal? If so, I assume a little WD-40 ought to take care of the squeak, right?

View attachment 143488

View attachment 143489
Does your tailgate have the built in step bar? If it does, there may be an issue of the torsion bar in the tailgate not being torqued or properly adjusted that has caused some issues with members in another forum. Here's a link on how they were able to fix their noisy tailgates with a built in step. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-xlt-tailgate-issue-resolved-5-minutes-418360/

r8ders

Reaction score
Does your tailgate have the built in step bar? If it does, there may be an issue of the torsion bar in the tailgate not being torqued or properly adjusted that has caused some issues with members in another forum. Here's a link on how they were able to fix their noisy tailgates with a built in step. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-xlt-tailgate-issue-resolved-5-minutes-418360/

Here's another possible solution from the F-150 forum if you have a built in step on the tailgate.

"There is a torsion rod running through the tailgate. On this torsion rod there are two rubber grommets that prevent the bar from touching the bottom of the tailgate. If they are in the wrong position you will hear the rod smacking the bottom of the tailgate right before it shuts. These grommets need to be slid further towards the outside edges of the rod. About 12” from the end of the rod on both sides. You need to remove the tailgate, loosen the two small bolts that clamp the rod in place on the passenger side and then slide the rod out of the tailgate. Reposition the grommets about 12 inches from either end of the torsion rod. Reassemble and you’re popping sound will disappear. It’s a pain in the butt but that is the true fix. I speak from experience.

On both ends of the tailgate there is an access hole where you can see through the entire tailgate. You can see the rod and the grommets. If you can rig something up to grab these grommets and help slide them down the rod you won’t need to disassemble anything. Lube up the rod, maybe try a coat hanger and bring lots of patience."

Hope this helps

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Like others stated, lithium grease.

Had a shop install a tail/blinker/stop light combo and they had removed my tailgate to remove the bracket that I believe keeps the tailgate from slamming side to side when off-roading. Thay had to get that bracket of to be able to install the light.

Anyways my tailgate now clicks whenever I open or close it and I'm positive it's on the right side.

Not sure what would cause this but I'll have to probably take off the tailgate to see what's going on.

jaggwaa

Reaction score
The left is the control bearing while right is just holding the gate. Spray wd40 first to give it a clean and then simply apply grease. That should fix it for ya