Synthetic Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbonemcniel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetic really shines over conventionals with cold starts and with a lot of short trips, in addition to hard driving.

I worked for Valvoline for a while, so I try to use their stuff. I like Maxlife a lot.

Something the guys in the lab tipped me off to was using the Valvoline Racing oil, which has a better base stock than the standard stuff, but is a little cheaper than the semi-synthetic. BTW, the semi-synthetics usually aren't synthetic at all; they're just a better base stock than the conventional oil.

I use that Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 in my gen 1 Lightning (393 stroker that sees 6800 rpm about every time its started with a Novi 2000 pushing boost). And the truck just loves it! CNC Blueprinted oil pump though.

Haven't changed oil in the Raptor yet, just clicked 1000 miles. Planning on Motorcraft soon though.

Sierra13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using amsoil synthetic now since I was 16 in all my vehicles. This is what I do. Every 5000 KM's (3000miles) I drop the plug drain all the oil out spin of the filter and throw it away along with all the oil in it (don't want the crap in there). Then spin on a new filter and take the oil that was drained and run it through a very fine strainer/filter for any particles that may be in the bottom of the pan. Once thats done take and pour it back in and add a quart for what you lost in the filter. And run for another 5000kms then i do a full change. This way you get the best of boat worlds the benefits of synthetic and keeps the cost down.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sierra, you're only running your oil for 6,000 miles so what you're doing is fine. But be advised that what builds up in motor oil goes far beyond particulate matter that can be mechanically strained out. Motor oil becomes increasingly acidic as it absorbs the byproducts of combustion. You are only running your oil for 6,000 miles so it's not a concern, but if you were straining your oil at 6,000 miles and doing full changes at 12,000 miles, it wouldn't be a good idea at all.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's my biggest concern is what u can see. The break down of the oil effecting its properties. Its always what u can't see that comes back to bite u. Like I said before oil is cheap insurance compared to a new engine. Unless u got deep pockets and u want an excuse to build a 6.6L...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sierra13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger, I could never bring myself to change at that many miles. I'm aware of the breakdown of oil. I was doing a full synthetic change every 5000km until I sent an oil analysis away and they told me it was practically like new still so this is as far as I can bring myself to go. The only reason for straining the oil has nothing to do with oil breakdown just piece of mind incase there was anything at the bottom of the oil pan or something fell in while it was in the bucket. I had an oil analysis article awhile back I'll try and find it and post it up if anyone is interested.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah, Sierra, you're a maintenance nut like me. Good to make your acquaintance! What are you using to strain the oil, a coffee filter?

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does Royal Purple compare? It's priced around here about the same as Moblil 1.

I had it in my 400hp Tacoma along with the trans and rear diff fluid. Held up fine and was thinking about going back to it, since I can get that but not AMSOIL at the BX.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran amsoil in both my last trucks. They were leases but at 3000, I had the dealer change it. At 6000 I had amsoil thrown in. I never even pulled the dip stick on the truck. The day before I turned it in, I changed the oil filter and added a quart. Pulled the dip stick then and the oil was as clean as the day I put it in. I beat the shit out of those trucks too. They both had about 26000 when I had to turn them in. 20000 mile oil change. I couldn't believe how good amsoil is. That being said. I'm not going beat the shit out of my truck, whenever it gets here, but I will be doing Amsoil in the engine, trans, transfer case, and diffs. Amsoil for life.

Sierra13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, Sierra, you're a maintenance nut like me. Good to make your acquaintance! What are you using to strain the oil, a coffee filter?

Haha glad there's someone else who's as maintenance crazy as me. And yup I use a coffee filter and put it in the top of a funnel. The funnel also has a small mesh filter but it never picks anything up cause of the coffee filter.

On my duramax I installed a Fumoto valve which is basically a small locking ball valve. It makes it easy to take a quick oil sample and when changing your oil no more oil all over your hands while pulling the plug. I'll be installing one of these again at the first oil change.

This is the one you will need for the 6.2 if anybody is interested:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f106n-valve.html

Jason

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Found the oil article. A little long but a good read.

About the author:

Last edited:

Ciscokid

Reaction score
Oil

I have run Amsoil in all my motors(Race cars, boats, motorcycles, 4 wheelers etc) for the past 10 years. Amsoil Suggested intervals on cars/ trucks is over 10 to 15K.( filters should be changed every 3K).Check out their website..They will also run test samples of your used oils..I drive a 1992 Winston Cup NASCAR..26 Quaker State Thunderbird driven by Brett Bodine..My engine builder called me during tear down for a 50 hr freshen up ( new mains, rings, etc)..HE swore that in 30 years of building Race engines, he had never seen a motor as clean as mine after 50 hours of Road Course racing !..He now recommends Amsoil to all of his customers..IT WORKS !..Reducing friction = HEAT !!..Free up some HP...save some $$$ Good luck..