Synthetic Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I changed out my oil at around 9xx miles to Mobil 1 synthetic. I had my oil change reminder go off at around 8,000 miles last week. I know the thing is timed for 7,500 miles, but I figured I ask for your opinion. If I change it out at 7,500 miles using synthetic again, am I just wasting money? I was thinking about doing it every 10,000. What do you guys think?

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
honestly i am goin to do every 5000 miles. i drive my truck hard so i figure that is cheap insurance.

the best bet is get info from a guy who gets his oil analyzed and see what he thinks after that. i do remember a thread that someone sent in the oil after 5000 miles and the test company said he could go to 7000 miles no problem. i really think 10000 miles is pushing it too far IMO

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change it every 7,500 if for no other reason than to document proper service intervals for resale. Plus you wouldn't be saving THAT much money by extending it an additional 2,500 miles anyway. Put yourself in the shoes of a prospective buyer of your truck in a few years from now. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I change mine every 3k...but that is just a feel good think...10k way to far to go...I have never had anybody say " shit my truck is messed up because I changed the oil to often"

Is 3k over kill probably, but like Nick, I drive it hard...

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
honestly i am goin to do every 5000 miles. i drive my truck hard so i figure that is cheap insurance.

the best bet is get info from a guy who gets his oil analyzed and see what he thinks after that. i do remember a thread that someone sent in the oil after 5000 miles and the test company said he could go to 7000 miles no problem. i really think 10000 miles is pushing it too far IMO

I change mine every 3k...but that is just a feel good think...10k way to far to go...I have never had anybody say " shit my truck is messed up because I changed the oil to often"

Is 3k over kill probably, but like Nick, I drive it hard...

Are you guys using synthetic as well?

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford Oil, I think it is a semi synthetic... I will might go with a Amsoil at around 15k, but since I change every 3k I really don't see the need to switch, seems the Ford oil is pretty good...

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Ford Oil, I think it is a semi synthetic... I will might go with a Amsoil at around 15k, but since I change every 3k I really don't see the need to switch, seems the Ford oil is pretty good...

Yeah I agree. If I was running regular Motorcraft oil I'd be switching at exactly 7,500 miles. Not an inch more. I do not run it very hard but I do not baby it either. I checked the oil the other day and looked good. Looked like it could go another 5,000 miles. Just wanted a few opinions first though.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as good as synthetic oils are you really dont need to change it but once a year... Depending on your driving conditions, If you use your vehicle for a DD and do not run it in places that are harsh like so many of us do, when using synthetic oil you can run it all year, just change the filter and add a quart at each oil change... I say all year meaning between 15000 and 25000 miles depending what oils you are using... I have been doing that since I started using it. My sister has followed that and only got 320,000 miles on her Ranger. The one she has now has 230,000 on it... Sounds crazy but they want you changing it every 3,4,5,7000 miles because they make money when you buy the good stuff...

Like if you are driving 5 miles each way to work you oil never get hot so it fills up with hydrocarbons and will need changing more but, if you are driving 25 miles and the vehicle gets up to operating temps it cleans all that shit out and you dont need to change it as often...

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hock, one question. When you say change the filter and add a quart, do you mean to just drain a quart and add a new one?