Suspension upgrades without going crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Starting to look into possible suspension upgrades for my truck. Currently on top perch front with stock suspension and rear has Roadmaster Active Suspension with a slightly taller block. Shocks rebuilt about 20k ago. Not having any issues, but wondering if there's anything worth doing to make things "better." Seems like a lot of guys are doing Geiser progressive springs in the front with Gen 2 shocks with the live valves deleted and then Deaver +2 rear springs with Gen 2 shocks with the live valves deleted. I'm not sure if there's a bunch of other upgrades that are necessarily "worth" it, but would love to hear opinions. Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of just staying all oem but In for answers since this is something ill be getting into by the end of year.

Not that the OEM suspension is "bad" by any means. I just figured if I was getting to the point of rebuilding the shocks again might not be a bad idea to look into some spring and shock upgrades or other mention things worth it.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Not that the OEM suspension is "bad" by any means. I just figured if I was getting to the point of rebuilding the shocks again might not be a bad idea to look into some spring and shock upgrades or other mention things worth it.
Yup. Ill be getting springs and the rest of the parts myself while its apart. Im just trying to justify the cost over oem LOL

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have geiser springs on bottom perch with new front struts and so far it has been great. Want do rear springs and new rear shocks.

I'm trying to remember for sure, but the Geiser springs on bottom perch are the same as the stock springs on mid perch correct? I'm assuming that would mean the Geisers at mid perch are the same as the stock springs on high perch then too. What rear springs and shocks are you doing?

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doing some reading around and the major thing I want to avoid for sure is the bypass valve noise that comes with the aftermarket upgraded shocks. I drive the truck on the street far more than off road and take it on trips, so the less noise it's going to make the better. I'm perfectly fine with upgrading things if there's not any real trade-offs, but that's definitely something I read was an issue.

My shocks were rebuilt about 20k ago, so they are in great shape yet with no leaks or anything, but the bodies are starting to get corroded and kind of beat up. I'm wondering if I decide to go Geisers and Deavers if I should just replace them with new ones and sell the good used ones or what.

Last edited:

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember for sure, but the Geiser springs on bottom perch are the same as the stock springs on mid perch correct? I'm assuming that would mean the Geisers at mid perch are the same as the stock springs on high perch then too. What rear springs and shocks are you doing?
That is correct on the height. I'm going stock shocks and either Icons or Deavers. The stock shocks have been on backorder for a while now.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doing some reading around and the major thing I want to avoid for sure is the bypass valve noise that comes with the aftermarket upgraded shocks. I drive the truck on the street far more than off road and take it on trips, so the less noise it's going to make the better. I'm perfectly fine with upgrading things if there's not any real trade-offs, but that's definitely something I read was an issue.

My shocks were rebuilt about 20k ago, so they are in great shape yet with no leaks or anything, but the bodies are starting to get corroded and kind of beat up. I'm wondering if I decide to go Geisers and Deavers if I should just replace them with new ones and sell the good used ones or what.
I understand not going with an external bypass for not needing the performance, but don’t let noise alone push you away.

They are not that loud, actually sound pretty cool, and we road trip mine. You hear it on the choppy stuff, not the low speed shaft movements on the highway.

Just food for though, not trying to talk you into a more expensive shock.

I did notice that you mentioned gen 2 shocks though. To run them properly they will require some fab.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I believe that both Fox and King offer a shock more of a stock replacement. Not just a bypass. You could run those with remote fluid reservoir.