Suspension upgrades without going crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Unless you need to tow more and don't want any sag, nothing beats the stock plush ride. I have Icon leaf springs and with Fox Racing Series shocks w/LV and I just recently drove my father in laws completely stock Raptor also a 20'. His was a lot more plush for a daily driver, but mine will perform better than stock in the Johnson Valley.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting to look into possible suspension upgrades for my truck. Currently on top perch front with stock suspension and rear has Roadmaster Active Suspension with a slightly taller block. Shocks rebuilt about 20k ago. Not having any issues, but wondering if there's anything worth doing to make things "better." Seems like a lot of guys are doing Geiser progressive springs in the front with Gen 2 shocks with the live valves deleted and then Deaver +2 rear springs with Gen 2 shocks with the live valves deleted. I'm not sure if there's a bunch of other upgrades that are necessarily "worth" it, but would love to hear opinions. Thanks!
I went from mid perch on freshly rebuilt to Geisers bottom perch recently and think it’s well worth it; soaks up little stuff like stock at bottom perch without the brake dive. The rear really depends on you, my deavers and svc bumps are nice but unless you really push it don’t make a huge difference for the money IMHO. If yours works for you I wouldn’t change it unless you come across a good deal…

eRicRic

Reaction score
Installing the SDI eClik and converting to Gen 2 live valve oems could be a great option for you.

The SDI controller is far better than the stock oem controller, and the conversion for a Gen 2 or 2017-18 isn’t too hard. The city mode on the control improves town driving as much as the Baja mode helps in off-roading. You’ll probably find the eClik live valves will outperform Gen 1 race series but without the noise or the cost.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Installing the SDI eClik and converting to Gen 2 live valve oems could be a great option for you.

The SDI controller is far better than the stock oem controller, and the conversion for a Gen 2 or 2017-18 isn’t too hard. The city mode on the control improves town driving as much as the Baja mode helps in off-roading. You’ll probably find the eClik live valves will outperform Gen 1 race series but without the noise or the cost.

Pretty interesting setup for sure. Looks like it allows the use of the Gen 2 live valve shocks on Gen 1 and being able to control the shocks remotely in the cab. From what I see for the front shocks you need the adapter kit from Mikra manufacturing, but it looks like the rears are direct replacement. Assuming you'd pair that with like the Geiser fronts and Deaver rears. Anyone running something like this?

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went from mid perch on freshly rebuilt to Geisers bottom perch recently and think it’s well worth it; soaks up little stuff like stock at bottom perch without the brake dive. The rear really depends on you, my deavers and svc bumps are nice but unless you really push it don’t make a huge difference for the money IMHO. If yours works for you I wouldn’t change it unless you come across a good deal…

I figured the Geiser fronts and Deaver rears even with good stock 2.5's would be a good upgrade. Everyone says that they suck up bumps a lot better, but also perform better and ride smoother too. The SVC bumps I haven't read a ton about, but I'd assume if you're pushing the truck they are probably worth it instead of bottoming out onto the stock bump stops.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand not going with an external bypass for not needing the performance, but don’t let noise alone push you away.

They are not that loud, actually sound pretty cool, and we road trip mine. You hear it on the choppy stuff, not the low speed shaft movements on the highway.

Just food for though, not trying to talk you into a more expensive shock.

I did notice that you mentioned gen 2 shocks though. To run them properly they will require some fab.

I'd imagine for what I would spend on the external bypass shocks I could probably get the Gen 2 live valve shocks, controller, and shock bucket and I'm guessing I would probably enjoy that setup more.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd imagine for what I would spend on the external bypass shocks I could probably get the Gen 2 live valve shocks, controller, and shock bucket and I'm guessing I would probably enjoy that setup more.
Cost:
Gen 2 OEM 3.0’s fronts/spring and rear?
Gen 2 coil bucket $550
Gen 2 rear shock mount $250
SDI e click $2100

You still could probably do the above cheaper than a full set of replacements: internal bypass coilovers and external bypass rears. The adjustments of the e click would be pretty cool.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cost:
Gen 2 OEM 3.0’s fronts/spring and rear?
Gen 2 coil bucket $550
Gen 2 rear shock mount $250
SDI e click $2100

You still could probably do the above cheaper than a full set of replacements: internal bypass coilovers and external bypass rears. The adjustments of the e click would be pretty cool.

I just had a friend that picked up the Gen 2 OEM 3.0's front and rear for 600 bucks on eBay that were brand new. I plan running Geisers in the front and Deavers in the back. Internal bypass coilovers would be about 3000 and external bypass rears would be 2200, so around 5200 for that. Gen 2 OEM 3.0's, the coil buckets, rear shock mounts, SDI e-click, and Geisers I'm figuring about 4200. I think for myself that would be a lot better route as you get in-cab adjustability but also further suspension travel due to the Gen 2 shock geometry.