Supercharged Horror Stories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blew my 6.2 at 598whp. Gen 4 whipple stage 2 kit, long tubes, billet OPG's and ATI 12% OD pulley. Upon inspection, the pistons were beautiful, so it wasn't a fueling issue. The rods just let go and punched 3 holes in the block. I'm sure if one were to keep the standard whipple pulley setup, it would have been fine.

FYI the Entire motor and supercharger were trashed after this. Metal went through the rotors and destroyed the head unit. I would highly recommend building the bottom end If you're going to do some "extra" things on top of the standard kit.

This happened last October. Engine build, CNC head porting, and whipple have kept me from getting it all put back together.
Do you happen to have the dyno from this, do you remember what you were reving to?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blew my 6.2 at 598whp. Gen 4 whipple stage 2 kit, long tubes, billet OPG's and ATI 12% OD pulley. Upon inspection, the pistons were beautiful, so it wasn't a fueling issue. The rods just let go and punched 3 holes in the block. I'm sure if one were to keep the standard whipple pulley setup, it would have been fine.

FYI the Entire motor and supercharger were trashed after this. Metal went through the rotors and destroyed the head unit. I would highly recommend building the bottom end If you're going to do some "extra" things on top of the standard kit.

This happened last October. Engine build, CNC head porting, and whipple have kept me from getting it all put back together.
Pics? :birgits_tiredcoffee

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that, hope you get it back together soon.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Boooo that sucks!
Can you share some details. How many miles were on it, who's tune etc??

I was told buy a couple reputable engine builders that the weak link was pistons then rods. Sometimes its hard to tell what failed first, but I would bet that a piston failed due to preassure and then started the catastrophy.

Regardless, it tore up everything so guessing it was at a pretty good RPM when it went down.. I feel for ya bud!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes you can use tuning tricks to keep an engine alive and make more power than it "should". For instance the rods in a BBF are strong in compression and weak in tension, so you can make 800hp on stock rods if you don't rev it past 6k (use boost). Three valve mustangs have rods that are just plain weak so you pull timing in the mid range and you can make 500+whp out of one if you don't rev it past ~6250. Hypereutectic pistons won't "usually" let go unless you ping them, specifically low in the rev range. This can look like a weakness in these engines because they are programmed to stay near knock all the time. The other thing that will kill pistons is ring butting, most guys don't tear into a stock engine to change ring gap and reassemble it with stock parts

Would be nice to know what the magic formula for the 6.2l is, so the more info we can get on failed engines the better!

Blacktor

Reaction score
We had it shifting at 6K. Not much happening after that with stock heads.

Attachments

• Brian_Rap.jpg
    Brian_Rap.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 26

Blacktor

Reaction score
It looks like it let go around 90mph based on my draggy graph. I'm not sure what RPM it was at. Presumably 4500+

Attachments

• IMG_1219.png
    IMG_1219.png
    329.9 KB · Views: 20