Supercharged Horror Stories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT_Liberator

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm taking delivery (hopefully) Monday on a 2013 Roush Raptor (in Red) with 59,000 miles.
I've seen/read through quite a few "longevity" and "durability" threads within this forum, but with very few guys chiming in on supercharged Raptors specifically.

My goal is to stay ahead on maintenance and to get as much information from people who have had much more miles on their trucks to forewarn me of what exactly to expect to break on supercharged Raptors.

Other than Hennessey-related stories... Can you share horror stories of major mechanical failures/repairs you've experienced in these trucks?

Thanks in advance!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble,but NO HORROR STORIES from this SuperCharged member....
2014 Whippled Shelby....just turning 56K,runs like a charm.....ONLY maintenance I've read about as far as the SC is that oil needs to be changed at 100K....dont really see anything else you could do unless a bearing or seal blows...
I'm gonna do the oil at around 65-75K along with most of the 50-100k maintenance that a regular Raptor needs...plugs,coils,rebuild shocks,rear-end & trans fluids...etc.....
If you find any other things to do to a SC,looking forward to learning more...
GOOD LUCK with yours.....Sounds like you found a good one......I posted a couple videos of mine on the conversation you started this morning with me....

Last edited:

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I've heard of is getting your oil pump changed out for one with forged internals and gears. Seems Ford went cheap on those parts but that's an issue for all 6.2 motors not just SC ones....

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not here either , my 2010 had the whipple installed at 30,000 miles now nearing 90,000 . It was one of the first kits released for the 6.2 . 2500 mile oil changes , go with gates racing serpentine belt . Installed new ignition coils , plugs ,wires , 10,000 miles ago . Oxygen sensors recently . Re did entire cooling and intercooler system , ron davis radiator , hoses , thermostat . Transmission fluid change every 25,000 Runs very good for 9 years old .

OP
OP
LT_Liberator

LT_Liberator

Reaction score
Not here either , my 2010 had the whipple installed at 30,000 miles now nearing 90,000 . It was one of the first kits released for the 6.2 . 2500 mile oil changes , go with gates racing serpentine belt . Installed new ignition coils , plugs ,wires , 10,000 miles ago . Oxygen sensors recently . Re did entire cooling and intercooler system , ron davis radiator , hoses , thermostat . Transmission fluid change every 25,000 Runs very good for 9 years old .

What prompted all the work? Just preventative? Or were you having issues?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very few problems here - Roush installed at 50K, sitting at 91K now. My only real supercharger problems were my stock exhaust. I blew two exhaust manifolds and one cat. I've since gone to full true dual Kooks exhaust. I've also upgraded the oil pump as a proactive measure, since this is a known weak point.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only thing I've heard of is getting your oil pump changed out for one with forged internals and gears. Seems Ford went cheap on those parts but that's an issue for all 6.2 motors not just SC ones....

Same thing goes for all OEM georotor style oil pumps though. The 6.2L is no better or worse. All 4.6L, 5.0L and 5.4L mod motors and all LSX engines have the same setup with cast gears. Any gear failure = trashed engine. Therefore any "build" of engines with this type of pump should always get billet gears.

I've not heard of any bottom end crank/rod/piston failures in a 6.2L, even with the S/C, which is pretty impressive really. I'm sure there's been a few, but it's got to be rare.

Ruckus08

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! You won’t regret it. I’ve got a 2013 with 106K, Came new with Roush SC. No issues save similar exhaust problems as Dane, with the Roush exhaust it came with. Stuck some Stainless Works headers and Corsa Sport exhaust on it. No issues with this setup. I haven’t been the kindest to the truck either. Tow around 7k lbs weekly, Offroad regularly, sit in traffic in hot and humid Nashville weather every day, drove it from California to TN and all over. Been a great truck and so dang fun to drive!!

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What prompted all the work? Just preventative? Or were you having issues?

Besides radiator, it developed a crack , that dripped when cold . Everything else was preventive . Never really had issues as far as drive train . Most of my warranty work was interior , sunroof 2 times, side window ,heated seat , rear slider , camera. A transfer case actuator and iwe vacuum lines cracked.

Living in high temps of Arizona tends to strain a lot of parts vs. other parts of the country

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter