Supercharged 6.2 VS Twin Turbo Ecoboost Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon###

Reaction score
Oh, I gotcha now, yea if mod both the v6 will blow up trying to match the hp that v8 can be setup at. I think the 600 hp range is probably bout all I would want a gen2 v6 to ever get up to. I’m sure one could get more but i doubt it would last very long

There are plenty of Ecoboosts out there that will eat a supercharged 6.2 for breakfast.

Turbo vehicles are simple to mod and usually produce huge gains with little effort.

Which engine was built to withstand 20+ psi of boost, the 3.5 or 6.2? My $ on reliability and longevity is definitely on the 3.5.

They produce torque down low, get better gas mileage, easy to mod, etc..

The one thing it lacks is the rawrrr of a v8. Maybe someone will produce a fake engine noise track that gen 2’s can use to simulate a v8

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are plenty of Ecoboosts out there that will eat a supercharged 6.2 for breakfast.

Turbo vehicles are simple to mod and usually produce huge gains with little effort.

Which engine was built to withstand 20+ psi of boost, the 3.5 or 6.2? My $ on reliability and longevity is definitely on the 3.5.

They produce torque down low, get better gas mileage, easy to mod, etc..

The one thing it lacks is the rawrrr of a v8. Maybe someone will produce a fake engine noise track that gen 2’s can use to simulate a v8

They produce torque in the mid range. They are uselessly weak down low.

And so far we haven't seen any really powerful ones, despite hearing how easy they were going to be to mod.

Also seems that once you start to try to get any real power out of them (by going to bigger turbos) boost lag goes up and the already weak low end torque goes way down.

Just not a great truck motor at the end of the day.

There's plenty of 700+ horsepower 6.2s running around. All it takes is a Whipple. If you maintain them, they're completely reliable once the oil pump gears are changed.

And they're making even more power now with the Gen 3 rotor set.

Hell, the little 5.0 is making 812 horsepower now with just a Whipple. Easily an 850-900 horsepower motor with a few more parts. That is the motor the Raptor should have.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you add a good performance tune to a gen2 there isn’t any notable lag or low power. Stock it had lag and noticed. Now with just tune and cheap bolt ons it’s pulling 4.8 0-60 times. Pretty quick for Just alittle money put in it. But definitely should have had a v8 option, twin turbo on a v8, the 7.0 v8 is coming soon for the raptor that though. That’s gonna be pretty sick and we will be supercharging It producing more hp than any vehicle known to man kind I’m betting.

Brandon###

Reaction score
Here’s an ecoboost supercrew F150 4x4 running 11s:

https://southernspeedinc.com/worlds-fastest-f150-ecoboost/amp/

How close has a supercharged 6.2 come to matching that?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once you add a good performance tune to a gen2 there isn’t any notable lag or low power. Stock it had lag and noticed. Now with just tune and cheap bolt ons it’s pulling 4.8 0-60 times. Pretty quick for Just alittle money put in it. But definitely should have had a v8 option, twin turbo on a v8, the 7.0 v8 is coming soon for the raptor that though. That’s gonna be pretty sick and we will be supercharging It producing more hp than any vehicle known to man kind I’m betting.

There's no way a tune is going to fix the small displacement low end power issue.

Attachments

• 6.2 vs. 3.5 dyno.jpg
    6.2 vs. 3.5 dyno.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 50

Brandon###

Reaction score
There's no way a tune is going to fix the small displacement low end power issue.

Low end power issue? How long does your engine stay under 2000 rpm? 1 second? The 3.5 graphs are significantly higher than the 6.2 in 90% of the curve

An ecoboost tune will easily add 75 hp and 100 ft lb to the wheels.

Can you post the video of the 10 second Raptor? I’d love to see it

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Low end power issue? How long does your engine stay under 2000 rpm? 1 second? The 3.5 graphs are significantly higher than the 6.2 in 90% of the curve

An ecoboost tune will easily add 75 hp and 100 ft lb to the wheels.

Can you post the video of the 10 second Raptor? I’d love to see it

Most day to day driving is in the lower RPM range. It's nice to have a responsive engine with no lag that doesn't have to downshift to pull a hill or make a pass. This wouldn't be an issue in a lighter vehicle, mind you, as you don't need as much low end torque in something like a Taurus SHO. But in a full size truck with off road tires, you definitely want that flat torque curve. It's why trucks have always had big engines.

Brandon###

Reaction score
Most day to day driving is in the lower RPM range. It's nice to have a responsive engine with no lag that doesn't have to downshift to pull a hill or make a pass. This wouldn't be an issue in a lighter vehicle, mind you, as you don't need as much low end torque in something like a Taurus SHO. But in a full size truck with off road tires, you definitely want that flat torque curve. It's why trucks have always had big engines.

The gen 2 gets to 60 mph well over a second quicker and does the quarter in 1.5 seconds quicker, and this graph shows you why.

If the gen 2 dispensed $20 bills from the center console I don’t think it would be enough to convince some folks that it is in fact better.

I’m a car guy and I love v8’s just as much as the next guy, but I’ll give credit where credit is due.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gen 2 gets to 60 mph well over a second quicker and does the quarter in 1.5 seconds quicker, and this graph shows you why.

If the gen 2 dispensed $20 bills from the center console I don’t think it would be enough to convince some folks that it is in fact better.

I’m a car guy and I love v8’s just as much as the next guy, but I’ll give credit where credit is due.

I was only advising people why the EB is a less than ideal truck motor. I'm not here to debate 0-60 times or money dispensers, especially in stock trucks.