Supercab Vs Supercew in the Dunes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewAgePhilosopher

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, so let me start off with a little background. I live in Dubai, UAE, and I'm selling my standard transmission '14 JKR which I use as a daily driver. I absolutely love my Jeep, but I can't stand the manual in daily traffic, and I drive a lot for work so I need to make the switch to an automatic. Anyway, I want something that I can use as a DD and for weekend fun in the desert.

I've almost pulled the trigger on buying a '14 Raptor. For those of you who may not already know, most of our off-roading happens in huge desert dunes with soft sand, and not much in the way of level terrain. So here is my problem: I would prefer a vehicle where I have a proper rear bench (unlike my 2-door JKR), yet I don't want it to majorly jeopardize the off-road capabilities of the truck. The Scab rear bench is barely more comfortable than the JKR's. But the Screw has a considerably longer wheelbase and could (or could not?) cause problems when cresting dunes. Also, does the Screw feel noticeably slower while accelerating on-road?

So I'm here to ask you fellow Raptor-ers (is that right?) whether a Screw would make a considerable difference in performance in the big sandpit that is the Arabian desert.

Other factors, in order of importance, that will be contributing to my final decision:
1. I would require the rear bench maybe once a week on average for work, and to transport occupants to and from weekend desert escapades. And of course, for passengers to actually be comfortable while going off-road.
2. I have two large dogs that I would like to take out for drives in the truck, in which case a Scab might be too small to fit them? If someone with dogs has any experience with this, please let me know. The dealership won't let my dogs into the showroom truck.
3. The Scab looks much better than the Screw.
4. A Screw would make parallel parking slightly more tricky in the crowded Dubai streets, but that's not a major issue.

I've been lurking on here for some time now, and have read numerous threads regarding some of these issues, but since every case is different, I figured I'd get my own feedback special to my situation. All advice/feedback will be appreciated, and looking to join the FRF community real soon!

P.S. Are there any Dubai/UAE Raptor owners here on FRF?

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a SCab and routinely travel with three people and two dogs (50&75Lbs) no issues; the rear of the SCab has more room then a large sedan and can accommodate three average guys easily.
In the dunes the longer wheel base will only be an issue at slow speeds.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Screw and love it, but the Scab rear seat is way more comfortable and spacious than the Jeep's, come on! If your dogs fit in the Jeep, they'll have be ecstatic with room in the Scab. Oh, and the Screw looks better than the Scab or the Jeep, LOL.

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own one of each. My screw is bigger and feels bigger while off roading imo. It's harder to stage into the corners and sinks deeper off jumps and bumps.

I took my scab down to mexico and did a run on the baja 500 course there and was happy I choose that truck. Imo it takes off faster, corners better and looks way more bad a$$.

My dog and my buddies fit fine back there, the crew doesn't get much extra space.

Owning both, I love performance of my shorter scab. I would recommend it over the crew any day as long as your not dealing with car seats for kids. The screw doors are way easier to work for that. Hence why I got a screw as well.

fYI both trucks are 2013 with same miles on them so there an equal comparison for me.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Screw. And I'm kinda wishing I would have went with an Scab. Yea the Screw has a ton of room, but it's kind of overkill honestly. Me personally I don't need that much space. But I'm sure you'll love either one. Who couldn't love this truck!

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think space in the SCAB is plentiful, still lots of leg room but rear suicide doors can be a major PITA in parking lots and garages - especially when carrying people. I've got them on my Toyota and they're the reason I went with the SCREW for the Raptor.

OP
OP
NewAgePhilosopher

NewAgePhilosopher

Reaction score
Thanks for all the informative replies guys! Awesome community - won't be missing much in regards to the friendliness of the Wrangler community!

I think I'll be going for the Scab! I just hope my two large dogs (both 80+ lbs; one black lab, and one white swiss shepherd; both males) fit nicely in the Scab. What I did like about the Screw for my pets was that the seats fold up completely so that they wouldn't destroy the leather with their nails. Can you do that in the Scab as well? Or would they be sitting on the seat?

Either way, I think that's my major concern right now between Scab and Screw, and it's not worth the extra dough or the diminished performance, so Scab it is!

Thanks for helping me make the decision ya'll! Black Scab on the way!

Edit: Typos.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seats fold up in the scab as well. You obviously won't have as much room as a screw but still plenty imo. I had a screw before this and only miss the space and smaller fuel tank on road trips... but seriously, who cares about rear legroom when you're in the drivers seat!