Sunroof Leak Solved! (Sorta)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

datnut

Reaction score
So, I thought I would share the results of my sunroof leak investigation. I have searched the internet high and low and have not found anyone describing this as an issue, so I am sharing. I purchased my 2017 Raptor new and have had water intrusion issues since day one. Literally rained and leaked while I was in the office signing papers. It’s been in the dealership for repairs countless times. They told me the seal was bad on the glass and replaced the glass. They said the tracks were bad and replaced those, they said the second glass was warped and replaced that. Got my truck back from the most recent fix (#8 I think) and had some of the worst water intrusion yet. Usually leaks down the A pillars with water standing on the rubber mats. This time water was standing nearly an inch deep in the storage bin under the climate controls and in the center console between the shifter and cup holders. After 5 weeks of no messages being returned from the service advisor this round, I decided I was going to go through everything myself (again). First checked to see if drains were connected (check). Next check to see if drains appeared kinked anywhere (check). Next ran trimmer cord down drains to clear blockage (check). I could find nothing amiss and no matter how much water I poured in the sunroof gutters, none leaked out. Right before I gave up for the day, I tried pouring water not directly into the gutters, but on the roof at the sunroof opening. I wanted to make sure some weirdness wasn’t happening with the deflector in the down position. Low and behold I have water pouring on the headliner and running in the truck. Mind you I am doing this with the headliner loose and partially down, so I could monitor the drain tubes. Water wasn’t coming from the drain tubes, but elsewhere. I suspected the roof mount antenna, as some of the water ran over it, so I sealed of the antenna with Gorilla tape temporarily to see if leak stopped. Tried several more times and water continued to leak. I came to believe that some of the water was clinging to the underside of the roof sheet metal and running along it until it encountered the black foam that lays in front of the sunroof track assembly. To verify my theory, I again relied on Gorilla tape to make a bridge between the roof sheet metal and the sunroof tray. Now any water was forced to run into the gutter. Hallelujah, no water in the cab! Hard to get pics of what I’m describing, but if anyone is interested, I’ll do my best. Or if anyone has pics of assembly completely removed, I may be able to illustrate on that. I haven’t decided on a remedy; My first thought is to caulk the gap at the top leading edge of the tray and the roof. Second is to possibly use a rubber gasket that could be applied to the underside of the roof sheet metal and hang low enough to force any water to drop into the gutter. This is a long write up, but three years in the making. Anyone who can visualize what I’m talking about and wants to offer a fix, please share ideas.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I liked your post because of your troubleshooting and persistence. I'm tagging this thread because I would like to see the resolution.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Pictures would do this thread justice. #Respect.

You have admirable persistence and patience for sure. I would have long ago gone for the buyback and thank the almighty, knock on wood, I’ve only had the broken track.

OP
OP
D

datnut

Reaction score
Added a picture. There is a foam gasket that appears to be glued from the outside of the front vertical "wall" of the frame/drain channel. You can see dried glue residue in the pic. I believe this foam is there to block water running along the underside of the roof and cause the water to drop into the drain channel. My foam gasket is pulled loose in several areas and appears to allow water to run down the outside of the vertical "wall" of the drain channel. Still contemplating best way to remedy the situation. Inkedsunroof 1_LI.jpg

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added a picture. There is a foam gasket that appears to be glued from the outside of the front vertical "wall" of the frame/drain channel. You can see dried glue residue in the pic. I believe this foam is there to block water running along the underside of the roof and cause the water to drop into the drain channel. My foam gasket is pulled loose in several areas and appears to allow water to run down the outside of the vertical "wall" of the drain channel. Still contemplating best way to remedy the situation. View attachment 141526

Why not take it to the dealer with all the information you've gathered and make them fix it?

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have hit the dealer lottery or something. Discovered a leak in my sunroof, dropped it off on a Sunday while they were closed, called them on my way on an out of state trip Monday morning, they moved it inside and that's where it sat until it was fixed so there were no more leaks while I was gone. Picked it up that Saturday morning. They even started it up for me when they saw me walk in so it'd be nice and warm for my drive home. No issues since.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why not take it to the dealer with all the information you've gathered and make them fix it?

Stealerships are hit/miss on this. As you can see from OP, some of them just aren’t qualified to work on the moonroof. My local stealership contracts out moonroof work to another shop about 2 miles away.