Interior leak from overhead control unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyrkshr

Reaction score
Has anyone had a leak from the overhead control unit (where the sunroom controls etc are)? Noticed some drips this morning and was shocked to see where it was coming from. It had been raining, but not particularly hard. The water was in the seam beneath the strip of plastic with the illuminated seatbelt sign. Windshield? Sunroof?

1366e5e7-81f7-4519-8bc7-e1837f1af021.jpg1f578da9-7a70-4f97-9059-2f28e48b15cf.jpg

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of your moonroof drains is likely clogged or kinked. a buddy had his moonroof leak multiple times and fill up his floorboard noise insulation. one of his drains was kinked from the factory

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sunroofs are no bueno…especially ones that you need to thoroughly clean & lubricate w/ a specific expensive grease every 6 months or so to have any hope of it functioning correctly/smoothly (or not breaking)

Oh…& never, NEVER ever EVER do the “one touch open” feature first before popping it open w/ the vent button first. If you haven’t been practicing these 2 things then most likely your sunroof is jacked up in some fashion. Drain tubes could be clogged or bent too as mentioned, a crap load of water is “designed” to come into the sunroof tracks & drain through the tubes.

On my 2nd Raptor purchase I opted. To skip the roof, & guess what? While I was picking it up from the dealer they had TWO F150s, a king ranch & a Raptor, being shaken down for roof leaks saw the techs standing over the top on step ladders w/ garden hoses while other techs looked around trying to figure out where/how it was getting in

Having a giant hole
In the roof of what was otherwise a weathertight structurally sound cabin seems to be a dumb idea if you ask me anyhow, looks cool tho

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Eh. Mines been fine. No issues in two years. No fancy open this and then this routine. No grease. Guess I am just lucky.

Last edited:

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same dripping issue several times on my 2019. It was odd because it never seemed to happen in torrential type rain. The few times I noticed it, it was after moderate rain.

Exactly why I chose a truck with no sunroof this time around. Sorry to see they haven't fixed the issue.

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying a lot Raptor so I didn't get to spec it. It does not have the twin panel moon roof and I can honestly say I am not mad......

That said, I also believe you have a clogged drain. You should be able to correct it easily enough. If all else fails, I suggest bringing it in for service.

OKflyswatter

Reaction score
That is my one complaint about mine. I wish I could get the tailgate step without the moonroof. I literally never open it. The only time I slide the shade back is at night when it is storming because I think it's cool seeing lighting while I'm driving. I entertain easily.