2018 Raptor - Sunroof leak question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my raptor since 2017 and I've never had a sunroof leak until recently. The drain holes were clogged and my dealer unclogged them a few weeks back. This afternoon it was really raining hard and I went and sat in the rear of the raptor to see if anything was leaking. The truck is parked where the passenger side is a little lower than the drivers side and its a little uphill so the back passenger side of the truck is the lowest point. Here is rain coming through the sunroof seams into the channels. Since the drain holes were open, no water leaked to the floor.

My question is: Is this normal for this amount of water to be leaking through the seams? Like I said, it was raining extremely hard for a few minutes and the bulk of the drops are coming from where the front panel meets the rear panel.

Video here on Microsoft Onedrive: Passenger side.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all have a few minor drips , mine does a little. All goes down the drains, thats what they are for.

OP
OP
Seven

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My video shows no 'minor' drips though. More like drip, drip, drip, drip. About 3-4 drips in several places, several times a second.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Memory seems to tell me that this is part of the design…to direct any drips into the side channels and down the drain holes.

Maybe FTO will chime in…I could be full of frijoles:)

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Clean the seals and lube with Krytox regularly. Keeps the seals pliable and therefore seals better IMO.

The dripping is normal as the drains take care of the water.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean the seals and lube with Krytox regularly. Keeps the seals pliable and therefore seals better IMO.

The dripping is normal as the drains take care of the water.
This. I‘ve done this from day one and never had an issue. I’ve never looked at it during a rain storm as your video depicts, so I‘m not sure whether mine would drip that much or not, but I’ve never had any water intrusion. Looks like you’re not getting any either.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My video shows no 'minor' drips though. More like drip, drip, drip, drip. About 3-4 drips in several places, several times a second.
That is what I consider minor or normal. I looked at mine once and was similar. You might try lubing up the seals and see if it helps, but mines always had some drips like that.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. Normal. Seen it across most brands I've had with sunroofs. My 2012 Raptor with the dinky sunroof dripped pretty good but never leaked out.

OP
OP
Seven

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it was disturbing to see that much water coming through. I also took a flashlight to see how much light I can see coming through and on the passenger side it was a lot of light and on the drivers side, hardly any. I recently purchased some of the lube, Krytox? and will keep on applying it to the gaskets. Thanks all.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normal, sunroofs and roof opening panels use a wet seal design. Water bypasses the wet seal, enters the drain rails, and exits through the drain tubes.

Krytox GPL-205 is the correct grease to maintain the seals.