Summer Heat Exchanger Cleaning On The Raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that summer is here thought that this might help some of those who are concerned about cooling on this beast. Over the years many things have been tried to keep the cooling system clean and with the multiple layers of heat exchangers it is even more important.

Any surface on the heat exchangers that has dust, dirt, oil, seeds, bugs, grass, whatever either blocks airflow or hurts the efficiency of the cooling process and this is a bad thing. First start with a cool engine then remove any dead bugs or grass from the outside of the heat exchangers. Then and after using dozens of products and methods over the last 40 years (started with our tractors when I was a kid) saw with my own eyes how much better the cooling system worked when clean esp. in hot or marginal conditions. The best product now out there at least for me is the Windex window cleaner bottle that you attach to your hose for outside windows.

This product uses a stream that is powerful enough to get the product and water where it needs to be through the layered exchangers yet is not so powerful that it will potentially bend the delicate fins of the exchangers. Bending any fins is a very bad thing because the effect is compounded because of the layering of the cooling systems heat exchangers. With some practice and looking before you start you will see smaller areas that will give you access to stream product and water behind the first couple of layers of exchangers. First I start by using about half or so the bottle getting all of the surfaces covered blasting out junk and the first layers clean of any small junk like seeds or dried bugs.

Then I let the product sit for a couple of minutes letting gravity work for me and then rinse thoroughly until only clean water comes out the bottom. Usually this whole process takes about 15 or 20 minutes.

Even if you think that your system is not dirty what comes out will surprise you. In Texas the better the AC works the better off you are..:peace:

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats great info hoss now that summer has hit I definitely need to do this haha looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hoss, I did your Windex trick this morning. Easy to do with the Raptor because the grill is out of the way with the hood up. I went to the extra extent of covering the engine compartment and front fenders with a tarp - the product says it's not for use on cars, so evidently it might harm the paint. Very effective. I'm big about getting the fuzz off the heat exchanger on the kitchen refrigerator and always wondered how to do the same for a vehicle. Now I know. Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger-----yes the windex will leave spots if it is alowed to dry on the paint but it will not hurt it (will take off most of the "wax" though). This is the 3rd truck and I do it to all of my cars but yes it is not a "car wash" lol! Glad it worked---am doing my outside AC units today when I do the yard.

Funny you mention the engine compartment---used it to clean the engine but Simple Green works a lot better...

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only if I could be there when some of you guys worked on your trucks... I'd learn so much. But seriously what does it look like? Is it a part of the radiator?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A radiator IS a heat exchanger. You've got one on the air conditioner for your house, under the refrigerator in your kitchen, it's the radiator for the cooling system in your truck as well as for the transmission and the AC.