Sub box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DjMuzz

Reaction score
@Tlox There are some great at-home builds in this sub-forum, but most seem to have a decent level of comfort with electronics/audio.

Specifically for me, I had some experience so it wasn't so much about the installation, but the proper tuning of the DSP afterwards. After doing some initial investigation, and finding that it was partially modified by the previous owner, I'm glad I had a reputable shop do the work. Had to rip most of the equipment out and re-wire, and ended up upgrading in the process.

I'd read around as there are a lot of good threads depicting the core requirements for B&O replacement setups (i.e. Zen A2b, Amp+DSP, etc.) depending on what level you want to take it.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did y’all have these installed by a professional? Or would this be something I could do at home? I’m looking upgrade as well, but have zero experience with car audio.

sigh...do your research....you can't just ad an amp and sub box to the Raptors that are 2018 and up with B&O systems. You have to replace everything.

IF....you can do it yourself....it is around a $2,000 job (to start).........if you have to pay someone to do it....you are looking at $3,000 (to start). Prices go up depending on the cost and quality of your equipment.

If you have zero experience....NO....you can't do it yourself. And if you don't do your research and try and do it on the cheap and not replacing everything, you are just pissing your money away and it will not be an improvement.

Bottom line....you can't just add a sub to a B&O raptor.

The B&O systems uses the factory "sony" amp and hardware and applies a DSP to it. The problem is, as the volume is turned up, the B&O DSP removes bass to try and protect the speakers. So no matter how much power or how big of speakers you throw at it, the B&O amp and DSP are why the systems sounds great at low volume, but also what it sounds so bad when you turn it up. you HAVE to remove it.

to adress the volume concerns....that was my main gaol as well. Replacing the factory amp and speakers in the doors and A pillar + 2 sub woofers 10s or 12's is more then enough.

I can cruise 85mph with the windows down and roof open and hear and feel my music.

Also, dont focus on "wattage" of what ever speakers you are buying. it is the most mis understoof measurement on speakers that doesnt mean what most people think it means. Just make sure you have 4x75-125 watt amp for your doors and pillars, and 400-600 watts for your 2 subs and you will be fine.

my build is a no frills build that gives a great bang for your buck without breaking the bank. Assuming you can do it all yourself. If you cant, add about $1,000 or so labor.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/it-is-done-started-my-b-o-replacement-stereo-install.68874/

Tlox

Reaction score
Appreciate the insight! Believe it or not, but I actually have done some research on this forum and have come across some great information. However, what I’ve seen is the majority of work has been done at home by people who have extensive experience with car audio.

I don’t want to come across as that “guy” who doesn’t do the leg work and expects answers to be given at a moments notice. This forum has been a tremendous help with my current build and I’m grateful for the information that everyone is willing to share. So I apologize if I came off that way.

Full disclosure, the sound upgrade is not a priority at the moment, but when I saw new post talking about an upgrade I though it would be a perfect opportunity to get some insight from people who are currently active members.

Thanks for taking the time help me out fellas!

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correction. You can actually add only a sub or two if you want with the B&O system without having to bypass everything. There are a lot of people who have done this and posted on this forum.
I'm very happy with my system that you helped me with! It also didn't cost a ton.

Op, here's my 2 install threads. Should help you since I was learning my way through the process.

Last edited:

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to add alil boom to the Rap. Don’t need anything too crazy maybe a single 10” but looking for feedback on what people have gone with. I want something like a stealth box that will fit clean and flush. The JL looks nice but is alil pricey.
Car toys build me a custom box for 2 JL Audio 10" subs for 500.00.
No need to waste the the floor space on a sub box

Attachments

• sub box.jpg
    sub box.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 78

David Shearer

Reaction score
Hush car audio is correct… There are a couple of manufacturers offering digital interfaces that will allow the addition of additional subwoofer amplifier without compromising The OE system

OP
OP
Sweetlou1182

Sweetlou1182

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correction. You can actually add only a sub or two if you want with the B&O system without having to bypass everything. There are a lot of people who have done this and posted on this forum.
Can you share how to do this or link to what's needed? Would like to add a dual underseat box, do not want to bypass or disconnect the factory BO sub. Have done some reading but the more I read the more confused I am lol. I am not well versed on car audio. Thx in advance.