Thanks to Bruce at Hush Audio for your help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you saw my post about how my Skar amp started on fire for no reason. Thankfully I was able to rip out the switch wire and it went out before it started my truck on fire. When I get the new one back from Skar, it's going on eBay. Bruce @Hush Car Audio took care of me and hooked me up with a new Kicker Key 500.1 smart mono amp, with bass revealer and processor all built into the amp. Big improvement in fullness and it definitely blends in much more smoothly with the system. It's sounds very balanced now. I was able to take the LC2i out of the system because with this new amp it does the adjusting for you. I'll have to post the LC2i for sale soon if anybody needs one.

Pretty easy to tune the amp, you download 2 sound test clips to a flash drive, when you're ready to tune you push a button on the amp and play the tones through the factory system. The amp gain matches with one test track, and tunes to the system with a second track, automatically. It's definitely more balanced and fuller sounding now. It's perfect for me, I wasn't looking for something to make my doors shake and I haven't lost any room. Thanks for your help Bruce. :happy160:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, are they fixing your burnt one or sending you a new one? Either way, i wouldn't want the f'n thing in my vehicle either, lol.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, are they fixing your burnt one or sending you a new one? Either way, i wouldn't want the f'n thing in my vehicle either, lol.

They didn't say yet, it's back at their headquarters in Florida. I'm in total agreement with you though, there's no way I would ever trust that amp in my truck again. Especially after I came across an Amazon review where a guy had his start on fire also. F*** that! I was more than happy to buy a new one from Bruce that I'm sure WILL NOT CATCH ON FIRE! I'm just glad I installed the Skar myself so I instantly knew which was the switch wire and could tear it out in seconds before the fire really got going.

The upside to all of this is that the new sub amp sounds much better. I was happy with the Skar and thought it sounded good, but the Kicker is definitely much better sounding. The rate of increase of the sub volume now tracks really well with the head unit. On my Skar I was frequently adjusting the remote gain to make it sound right to me. The Kicker sounds like Bruce came and tuned it for me.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They didn't say yet, it's back at their headquarters in Florida. I'm in total agreement with you though, there's no way I would ever trust that amp in my truck again. Especially after I came across an Amazon review where a guy had his start on fire also. F*** that! I was more than happy to buy a new one from Bruce that I'm sure WILL NOT CATCH ON FIRE! I'm just glad I installed the Skar myself so I instantly knew which was the switch wire and could tear it out in seconds before the fire really got going.

The upside to all of this is that the new sub amp sounds much better. I was happy with the Skar and thought it sounded good, but the Kicker is definitely much better sounding. The rate of increase of the sub volume now tracks really well with the head unit. On my Skar I was frequently adjusting the remote gain to make it sound right to me. The Kicker sounds like Bruce came and tuned it for me.
Well, sounds like a good outcome, glad nobody got hurt.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's so hard trusting the lower end brands when stuff like this seems to happen more often than not. This is why it's more important to get better gear to begin with than the cheap stuff. I'm very happy nothing bad happened. Skar does make decent stuff. Their upper end items are very decent. This amp happens to be the cheapest offering they have. I also had two other issues with this exact amp. I will never recommend their lower line gear moving forward.