STOLEN - Silver Gen 2, Denver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think they’re relying on insurance to cover things, which essentially forces me to take the peanuts that they’re wanting to offer me.

This comes down to numbers, obviously.

First, what condition is the truck in -now-?

They and or their insurance are presumably on the hook for damage caused while in their care. Is the truck basically totaled or repairable?

if it’s repairable, they’re probably going to opt to try and fix the truck, which they can do either in house or contractually much cheaper than you can.
But if it’s either not repairable or totaled, then you have a fight on your hands because you’ve got a high mileage truck, but with significant modifications to presumable increase the resale value.

They obviously don’t want to be out of pocket any money.
Not that I’m in any way taking this stealership’s side here, but how was the truck actually stolen? Obviously the thieves got the key from previous posting, but how did they get the key? Was the key secured in a locked room, or out in the open where everyone could see?

Because if the theft wasn’t foreseeable, or reasonably preventable it’s going to be a tougher hill to climb. If they had keys in a locked room, etc and took reasonable precautions, it’s difficult to fault them. OTOH, if they had your key easily accessible, then yes they could have and should have prevented that.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This comes down to numbers, obviously.

First, what condition is the truck in -now-?

They and or their insurance are presumably on the hook for damage caused while in their care. Is the truck basically totaled or repairable?

if it’s repairable, they’re probably going to opt to try and fix the truck, which they can do either in house or contractually much cheaper than you can.
But if it’s either not repairable or totaled, then you have a fight on your hands because you’ve got a high mileage truck, but with significant modifications to presumable increase the resale value.

They obviously don’t want to be out of pocket any money.
Not that I’m in any way taking this stealership’s side here, but how was the truck actually stolen? Obviously the thieves got the key from previous posting, but how did they get the key? Was the key secured in a locked room, or out in the open where everyone could see?

Because if the theft wasn’t foreseeable, or reasonably preventable it’s going to be a tougher hill to climb. If they had keys in a locked room, etc and took reasonable precautions, it’s difficult to fault them. OTOH, if they had your key easily accessible, then yes they could have and should have prevented that.
I might have misread it, but it was indicated that another key fob was in the truck that belonged to another vehicle. Sounds like inside job to me.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. At least this seems to be headed in the right direction for you. I wish I had some confidence that the scumbags would get justice, but the way things seem to be going these days, I doubt it.
I'm sure it's someone else's fault and the thieves are victims of sorts and actually you owe them gas money and maybe a some type of payments and you will be responsible for medical bills for the therapy they need after being arrested and the ptsd they are now suffering....and probably have to give them your raptor and pay the insurance on and college tuition for them and kids they have in the future or might already have....and this is America these days

OP
OP
S

Sidetrack

Reaction score
Larry H. Miller made things right and I was able to get the best financial outcome without having to pursue anything legally. They gave me more than fair value for my 2018, and gave me a pretty good break on the 2020 that they had on the lot. Long story short, they made things right after some professionally candid conversations.

On another note, a co-worker actually told me that the same dealership lost his keys. After we got to talking, we learned that his keys were "lost" the same night that my truck was taken. After discovering some cracks in his windshield, and new dents in the door and hood, it seems that there is a lot more going on than my co-worker or I are currently aware of. I couldn't believe it, but the dealer ended up buying his truck as well.

Resulting from the know issues with theft and/or joyrides, several heads have rolled the past couple weeks. That said, the current GM is honest and is walking the walk to get his business back on track. I have respect for these guys are thrown into a situation that they didn't create or ask for. However......based on my co-worker's experience, the dealer isn't directly divulging any info on key thefts to other vehicle owners upfront, but instead seem to be saying that keys were simply "lost." Honestly, they may not know how many keys were stolen or if a couple sets of keys were simply lost. As a heads up, if you had anything funky happen recently at said dealer, it's on you and you alone to bring this issue up with them. Based on each individual situation, and assuming you were affected in a similar way, they will make it right, but not until you bring it up and force the issue.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m glad you got this squared away. It sounds like the stealership knew they had culpability or contributed to the situation and from the sounds of it, the issue was ongoing and they either did very little about it, or nothing.

Good luck with the 2020 Rap.
#SameNumberOfprius

WireNutz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they took care of you. And your old truck is already list for sale on their site for just under 45k.