STOLEN - Silver Gen 2, Denver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sidetrack

Reaction score
I can’t believe how level headed OP is.

I think back to ... earlier years, and I can easily envision the service manager tied up, ball gagged, hood over the head, hands chained overhead to an i beam, suspended so feet don’t quite touch the concrete, which is covered in about half an inch of water, where we are having a heart to heart talk about the proper way to secure a vehicle that you are entrusted with.

I’m glad I’ve matured a little.
As long as they know you’re willing to cross more lines than they’re comfortable with, everything is professional and cool. Also doesn’t hurt having an oilfield background….prepares a person well for uncomfortable conversations.

Meeting with a decision maker in the morning. Should know more sooner than later.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In all seriousness, hopefully it all goes in your favor. This was an unfortunate event that could have been worse. Here’s hoping these guys make it right by you.

OP
OP
S

Sidetrack

Reaction score
Feels like they’re going to try to screw me over, and limit their exposure to loss of profit.

My good faith was freely given to them to perform the repairs. Now that it has been breached, I think they’re going to rely on offering me a little more than insurance would provide to fix the vehicle. The GM said he understood my points of concern….about $8-10k in aftermarket parts that will be lost if I sell the truck to them, the 20-40% reduction in value since it was reported stolen in the DMV system (carfax already reflects this), and the fact I didn’t have any control to prevent the theft.

On the page today, he played the numbers game. He thought we were supposed to meet next Saturday, so I forced some of the conversation to happen today. He had worked up preliminary numbers of $36,000 for trade in. Truck is a 2018, minor accident that was repaired, I’ve owned it since 8,000miles, truck hasn’t been jumped, 98% highway use, 123,000 on the odometer, well maintained, and WAS in great mechanical condition (except for the 4x4 that they were supposed to fix).

I will forever be unable to sell the truck for it’s worth, after being stolen and damaged.

Like I said, I think they’re relying on insurance to cover things, which essentially forces me to take the peanuts that they’re wanting to offer me. Also, I’m quoting preliminary numbers, but it’s not the outcome i expected from the conversation on Tuesday. To be frank, given the circumstances of my truck being targeted & stolen, i don’t understand how insurance can cover this? Gross negligence annd complacency isn’t exactly 100% covered in my experience?

Not sure what to do. Might talk to a different major dealer today and get their thoughts on the situation. Maybe they can recommend something I’ve not thought of?

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find an attorney, they will get you squared away

So I'm generally one of the last people to say "get an attorney" because the people who win from those deals are the attorneys first and everyone else a distance second. I've been able to resolve every off the job dispute but two without an attorney, and one of those just required a letter indicating legal representation had been acquired. That said...I agree with this advice in this instance *IF* you actually have a negligence case to make. Without knowing the details, that's not a given. Were the keys left in the vehicle or was the dealership burglarized? Is there a connection that can be made between suspects and an employee? Depending on those answers, it's at least worth a consult.

My advice is to hire someone local, it's a bigger advantage than many realize if the attorney already has relationships in your local court system vs some outsider ******* rolling in. Reviews and feedback from past clients is important. Are they used to representing your sort of case? Remember law is really really specialized and any given attorney isn't going to know, let alone excel, in the ins and outs of every situation. You see it sometimes with well meaning but ignorant "buddy lawyers" were the guy who does real estate full time "helps his buddy" with a family court matter or criminal trial. Might as well hire a truck driver to do your plumbing because he hauls pipe sometimes.

Reaction score
Wow, sorry about your Raptor, thank you for sharing, for those of us living in the Denver metro area, it's been reported recently that Denver has the highest car theft rate in the country this year. I wasn't aware that Raptors were being targeted specifically. Catalytic converters thefts also high. As far as this dealer goes, they better have a damn good excuse, or video footage, something to prove that there wasn't an inside connection. Does seem fishy. Hope they didn't damage it too bad, glad it was recovered.